Prolouge

Tsubasa POV:

Red splattered the walls of what I once called home. The lifeless inhuman body that lay at my feet twitched as more red liquid oozed out of it's open wounds. The head that once was human slowly crumbling to black dust and its beady eyes glared at me with utmost hate.

"Oh wow! Tsubasa-chan, you did it!"

I turned to my pink haired companion. She had some deep cuts due to the defeated demon but she still held her bubbly demeanor. I took out a piece of white cloth from my medicine pouch and handed it to her. "Mitsuri, take care of your wounds while we wait for the kakushi to get here."

"What about yours? You're hurt too-"

"I'll be fine."

I turned to the demon's head and held it up by its hair. I stared at it...devoid of any emotion. To think that this demon was once my evil stepmother. The same stepmother who put me through so much mental and physical abuse while my father was away at work. There are still times when I can still hear and feel the pain she inflicted on me years ago...such a wretched and foul woman.

When I had heard that the mission was in my hometown, I jumped at the chance to take it. I wanted to see if my father came home from his job in America and maybe see if we could rekindle our father-daughter relationship. To my surpise, when my subordinates notified me that the demon we were after was taking refuge in a european style estate with iron gates...I knew it was my former home they were talking about.

The servants of the household were so happy to see me and thankful that God has answered their prayers of me being safe and cared for. I didn't blame them for my misfortune...no, they had no say in the matter they couldn't disobey their orders. No, the only one I blame for the hell I had to endure...was because of that wretched woman...my stepmother.

"I don't understand...you have everything you could ever want as a lady of this estate and yet you chose to become a demon? What was your reason?" I said devoid of any emotion in my tone.

The demon gritted its teeth. "Cur! I don't need to explain myself to you!"

I stabbed it through its eye with a butterfly knife that Kocho-san made for me. It shrieked in pain and it started to crumble into black dust even faster.

"Pity. I guess you rotting in hell suits you then, stepmother." I threw her head hard against the wooden floor and made my way towards the door.

I decided to look back one more time and watched as her body and head disappeared fully. My job was done and no lives were taken this night. I still couldn't help but feel melancholy as I stared at the beaten common room...I was raised here but it holds nothing but hurtful memories for me now.

I walked down the empty hallways and opened the door to my father's study. Everything still looks like it was in order...

"Tsubasa-chan! Is that you on that portrait?!"

It was Mitsuri and she startled me as she stood at the doorway with fresh bandages on her legs and arms.

"Yes, that's me with my parents."

I smiled at the large portrait painting that hung above his mantle. I would've thought that stepmother burned it the moment she moved in but it was still there.

I'm not going to lie...it really brought me such joy to know that father still kept this painting. It gives me hope that he still thinks about me and mother...

Mitsuri walked in and studied the painting. She cooed when she looked at my portrait. "You were such a beautiful child!! And look, now as an adult you look exactly like your mother!"