Why Did the Mad Man Cry?

In a green mountainous barrio of Panlaya there lived a peculiar lad, as they said, having beak-like snout below the piercing reddish eyes with a slightly curved back and literally, big head.

He was Elyong with a voice that was quavering whenever he spoke with the people, though not well compensated for arduous work he did, he never complained. He would just walk home bringing with him the small amount of money he earned.

During harvest season, he was often tasked to harvest the coconuts. He would detach the coconuts from the trees by cutting the connecting stems using kanggot, a long straight bamboo stick with a sharp metal hook (scythe) at the end of it. However, his work didn't stop there.

He still had to pick the fallen coconuts from the ground. With the wooden cart pulled by the carabao, he brought it to agunan, a working area, then, he peeled the coconuts using an erected pointed metal. He cooked the nuts by smoking over a huge furnace, which was a big hole in the ground until they became copras. Selling copra was a common livelihood in their place which supported several families and enabled them to buy at least cheap clothes and to eat thrice a day.

Life was harder when they were still waiting for the coconut trees to bear fruit. There were times when Elyong had no other choice but to take the risks and to stride more than six kilometers before dawn despite the dangers that awaited in passing a narrow muddy road beside ravine.

Relying on the moonlight and holding only a small lamp for him to see his way, he had to reach the sea to work there. At least, at the end of the day, he could bring home a basket of sea shells or if not, two or three large fish. Through which, he and his family could overcome hunger. At young age, all that he wanted was to serve his family, papay and mamay, and be able to lighten other people's burden by working for them. Unfortunately, other people are too rude and greedy. They callously abused his good heart. They never respected him.

Just by seeing him sneaking behind tall cogon grass and playing with tiny creatures like spiders, worms and grasshoppers instead of hanging out and gossiping with them, they could easily judge and call him a beast like tikbalang and aswang or the worst bua-bua, an insane person.

They would rather turn their backs than to offer Elyong a glass full of water when he was thirsty and their children would rather throw mud into his face or hit him with firm dried branches than be grateful for the times, he pulled them up after falling on the ground.

That is how Elyong was treated outside his home. In times of degrading bullying and bitter criticisms, he never retaliated. He had nothing but his feet to get out from the painful situations he was. He could actually speak for himself because he attended classes in formal education when he was younger. Since he was left by his mother and he was accused of theft which he never did, he had locked himself up in shady silence where he believed, he could find his ultimate refuge.

One day, placing his freshly-lacerated hand on his shrinking stomach, he rushed towards the top of the grassy hill to find solace in it. Headwind was flashing against his face. It took away his tears.

It was difficult for him to breathe out so he was staggering like a drunkard before he stopped to sit and rest. Then, upon reaching the place, he leaned in the direction where mild scent was coming from. There he saw a brown caterpillar under the itchy leaf of a wild plant. He abruptly picked it up and put it on his palm while smirking.

Afterwards, he put it down and let it crawl away from him. Slowly straightening his tired knees and arms, he was caught in bewilderment.

As his head touched the tender grass, he looked up the cloudy sky. He sluggishly closed his eyes and let his mind fly until he could see nothing but fantasies in the midst of darkness. Then, he gently fell into a deep sleep. At the beginning of his dream, he was about to go home.