Chapter 1

Hi, I'm Alix, and just turned 14 last week. I live with my brother Jamie who is 6 in 2 months and my mother. I grow up in a poor household but overall were very happy with our lives. Me and my family live fairly normal lives, my mother works a 9-5 job, and I'm the main career for my brother who's just started school. I myself am in education but don't attend that often.

It all started around 3 years ago when my mother found a new boyfriend, Steve. He seemed nice at first, he cared for us, fed us and helped us with our financial problems. But that's what people see, no one knew he was raping my mother and beating me every night because we 'owed him' for his work. We was too nervous to say anything to anyone. That's why I don't attend school that often... One night my neighbour heard screaming from my mum. She altered the police right away. They found her in the bathroom naked covered in blood. Steve once again rapped her but this time she struggled and he presumedly stabbed her. Fortunately she survived but she was left traumatised. I don't know what I would of done without my mother, she is the bravest and hard working mother I could ever have.

Of course after that Steve got arrested and sent to prison. This brings us to now, we all still live together in a 1 bedroom apartment, all sleep in a double bed, and are now just trying to survive everyday as best we can. My mother found a better paying job, but longer hours so I'm mostly at home with my brother and caring for him more than before. For my brother, he's doing extremely well at school, he's bright and me and my mother think he's going to do great things when he's older. For me though, I've got into trouble at lot at school and I'm on the edge of getting expelled.

Steve comes out of prison sometime this month but we have no contact detail, such as a phone or a computer so I highly doubt the prison would inform us when he is out because now days no one sends letters, just either text or call.

I would normally sleep on the sofa but tonight I felt I would sleep in the bed with my brother and mum. Shortly after we had dinner, we all went to bed. We couldn't afford heating and it was the in middle of December so we tend to cuddle up as close as we can. I think I was the first to drift off to sleep around half 10 at night.

I awoke to a crashing sound and looked at the clock hung on the wall. 3:54am it read, i adjusted my eyes to see what was going on and I couldn't believe it. I stood in stock for a while and tired to take in my surroundings. It was Steve. By this time both my mother and Jamie were awake. My mother angrily shouted "What are you doing here!" Steve replied, "I brought a friend with me, I thought we could have a party seeming I'm out of prison now".

Both Steve and his friend were in black and grey track suits. Steve looked different from when I last saw him; longer, brown hair covered his face, so I could barley make out his appearance. For his friend, he had short blondish hair and a round face.

"Leave us alone!" I screamed at them. They both stood and laughed. "Do you think I'm just ganna go? Don't you remember all I've done for you?" Steve said in a clam, psychopathic tone. His friend proceeded to take out rope from his rucksack. Me, my mother and Jamie all huddled up tightly and Steve grabbed my mum and pulled her away from us. Him and his friend tied her to the bed post while me and Jamie were crying. I kept shouting and screaming for them to let her go but they acted as if I wasn't there. They wandered off towards Jamie, tying him to the bed. I refused to let him go but both of their strengths forced me to let him go.