Chapter 1: Missouri: The Show Me Ed

1848, Independence, Missouri, three young men ride into town, each on horseback. Locals in Independence have been buying and selling goods constantly since the talk of the Oregon Territory has reached the East Coast. Many travelers congregated to the Missouri city to trade one last time before they embark across the continent before all civilization is far behind them. The three young men trade in their horses for oxen, a covered wagon, and many survival supplies.
"Hey, cheapskate! I should get 40 rations for this much! Why do I have 34?!" Screamed Eddy, the shortest of the men.
"Prices have gone up since we're running short on food in this part of the state." The shopkeeper told Eddy.
"Eddy, please!" Said Edd, trying to reason with Eddy, "You'll just have to spend a little more than you thought! Any food we purchase will be worth the trouble."
"Eddy, make sure you get lots and lots of gravy!" Said the excitable Ed.
"Fine," Eddy grumbles and buys more food rations for the group.

The three find themselves at a nearby inn before departing, the sun just beginning to rise. The Eds all feast on bowls of oatmeal to fill their stomachs before the grueling journey.
"I can't wait to document my experience on the trail," Double D shakes his fists in excitement, "I've got an entire journal to fill with potential scientific discoveries!"
"Don't get your trousers in a knot," Eddy groaned, "We ain't even started yet!"
"Once I get to the Oregon territory, I'll be sure to make a living becoming a naturalist." Double D reassured his previous assertion. This was true, Double D had a bright future in Oregon if he were to get there. "How about you, Ed?" Double D asked.
"I want to find bigfoot! The hairiest beast in the wild, wild west!" Ed's enthusiastic face quickly melted into a cross-eyed, wide-smiled face once he finished speaking.
"How... interesting, Ed." Double D quickly deflected, "How about you, Eddy?"
Eddy hadn't thought this far ahead. But, he knew one thing for sure: wherever people will go, money will follow. So, wherever people flocked, Eddy followed.
"Uh... business opportunities!" Eddy sweated while answering. He had the most obvious tell. Fortunately, Double D didn't catch on to this. His secret was safe for the time being.
"Wonderful, Eddy." Double D finished his oatmeal and began packing his things. It was time to go west. "Coming, gentlemen?"
"Let's go find bigfoot!" Ed shouted.
"Yeah, yeah," Eddy grumbled after wincing at Ed's exclamation.