Unexpectedly

Every year I always received letters from an anonymous person or maybe not? Who knows? These contain seasonal greetings and sometimes I always bother who might be this person is. It might sound joyous but all jokes aside it's sometimes creeping me out.

It is now Christmas Eve and everybody is busy preparing for "Noche Buena." ( a Filipino version steeped in cultural and religious significance referring to the night of Christmas Eve.) I guess it's been five years since the same day, I received it. I still keep those just in case.

Last year's letter seemed a bit off, it's like his or her mood is not the same just like the previous.

Hello,

Merry Christmas! The season you've been waiting for has come and I wish that you spend the best time with your family and friends. It's been a very long since I gain the courage to let you know what I feel. But I wish that I'm still not creeping you out and I want to just stay anonymous. May this year's Christmas gives you the best present of your life and you keep smiling. I want to see you achieving milestones in life and then we meet soon.

I know it is an important tradition for you. I really do hope I could still be there.

Rooting for you,
Your friend.

-----------

That was the letter about. I still have feelings you know, and as I was reading this I feel like my heart is clenching.

The cold breeze of December engulf my skin as I was going home. When I got to my room I kinda expected that there will be another letter on my desk but I ended up being disappointed when I found out there are no letters, even I ask my mom about it.

I sigh. My phone chimes with numerous notifications. I open one conversation with Reese- my best friend, and it said, "Hey Lorraine, I heard from Vesh's family that he got into an accident while going out on some errands. You were out of reach. Let them know if you read this!" He's my online friend from Mauritius. My heart beats so fast that I couldn't breathe. That explains why I'm being uneasy since morning.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what to think. I can't believe something this tragic happened to him. And worse, I didn't know his situation now. Immediately dialing his number I gasp when he picked up. From the other line, I heard his low voice.

"Sorry if I haven't told you sooner. I'm just afraid I could ruin our amazing friendship that I'm always grateful for but I won't hold back anymore. I realized that time is precious and being with you is all I want for this Christmas."

Confused, I turned around to the door. Shocked I look at him standing there. I knew at that moment, Santa, finally gives me my greatest gift.

-----------

Word count: 494