Promise

«Thank you...»

We stay that way, in silence.
To be honest, that gentle contact has caused a strange feeling in me.
It's something new. I feel... very good, like I've never felt before. In this world where, every day, we put our lives on the line, I've never felt such an emotion as I remember.
Peace of mind.
How long has it been since I have felt this sense of peace that is soothing my soul? Maybe, only on the day of my birth...
I feel like I'm in a bubble, isolated from everything and everyone. Time seems to stand still, and I barely notice that one of my childhood companions, from afar, is pointing at me and whispering something - probably a joke, judging by his expression. In fact... all of a sudden I don't even notice it anymore.
I'm fine, and right now that's all that matters.
I smile and entwine the Glomerulus' hand in mine as I continue to blush.

... why am I doing this?

All of this still seems strange to me. Being so close to someone, wanting to hug someone you barely know, because you feel something towards them that, even if you can't explain it with words, you can express it with a simple gesture.
I don't know what it is. I've never had something like this happen to me.
But I feel that, in this way, we both recovered for a few minutes, charging ourselves with new energies that we have yet to learn about.

I help her to stand up, continuing to hold her hand. Even if she doesn't say it, her tiredness is immediately visible: she continues to stagger.
No... this is not good at all!
She keeps reassuring me, telling me that everything is fine now - even though it's clear that she can't keep working for long. And that's what worries me: at this rate, she'll end up fainting from the exhaustion of her remaining strength!
I take her near a bench and invite her to sit down, despite her trying to resist my request.
«Now... stay here and try to rest» I tell her.
«I-I can't! I have to keep working, otherwise you—»
«Don't worry: I'll take care of everything. You just try to regain as much strength as you can...at least until we get back. At that point... okay: we don't have a plan at hand, but we'll come up with something to overcome this crisis: it's obvious that we can no longer go on in this condition!»
Slowly I'm about to let go of my grip and walk away... but, immediately, she calls me back.
«W-Wait, please!»
At that point I turn back to her. From her eyes I see a strong concern, and I understand her: all of us, despite ourselves, are in this difficult situation ... and it's easy that something more serious than a simple injury can happen to us.
In a trembling voice she whispers to me: «Promise me... once the work is done... to come back here right away...»
«Of course I will!» I reply, smiling at her. I would like to reassure her, and tell her that everything will be fine... and that's why I hide, behind that smile, my worries.
Because, at least I have to look strong... right?
«Don't worry, I'll try to stay out of trouble!» I say, bringing a hand to the back of my head.
But she doesn't smile, and in fact, I notice some tears starting to fall from her eyes. «Please... promise me!» she replies, with a determined look.

... don't do that, you're making me uneasy. Don't make me say things that I might regret...

I try not to give in to my deep-seated fears. I let them not take over, to the point of turning my smile into a grin of pain - which might leak out that something that, for some time, has been gripping my soul.
The thought of not being able to survive much longer.
The thought of falling into oblivion.