Prologue - Cliché

Focus on the good!

Life is what you make it!

Today is the day!

I was lying in Mindi's room, staring at the cliché quotes pinned on her corkboard. When I thought about it, it was quite ironic. My best friend was the complete opposite of cliché. She was gorgeous, funny, weird and confident. They say nobody's ever seen two pretty best friends, but although I don't really believe it, apparently we defy that stereotype.

"Oh my god, Jordy. Look what Nathan just posted on his story!" Mindi exclaimed from the head of her queen-sized bed. I reluctantly sat up at peered at her phone screen. It was a picture of him and Kylah, one of the many people we sit with at lunch.

"Are they dating?" I asked, brushing my dark curls out of my eyes,

"They've been together since last Tuesday!" She yelled in frustration, "Jordyn, you really need to start remembering this stuff! It's important!"

"I know, I know. I'm sorry," I sighed, discreetly rolling my eyes.

"Enough. I hate it when we do this. It ruins the entire vibe!" She said, suddenly sitting up straight, "Let's surf!"

After changing into bikinis, Mindi and I headed out the front door of her house to where our surfboards lay upside down on the grass. We grabbed our respective boards and began walking down to the beach. It wasn't long until we were joined by Dylan, another of our friends from school.

"Oi, Mindi! Jordy! Wait up!" He yelled, putting on a cap and skateboarding over to us, surfboard in hand.

"Dylan! You're supposed to be washing the dishes!" His Mum called from inside his house,

"Chill, Mum! I'll be back in an hour or two," he replied as Mindi and I rolled our eyes.

When we made it to the beach, we wandered down to 'The Spot'. Sand crunched beneath our feet as we were warmed by the hot summer sun. As we neared our destination, we weren't surprised to see a few other friends there. After all, 'The Spot' was where everyone came to surf. We walked underneath the shade of the Screw Pines and sat on the big, driftwood log that had been washed onto the Beach many decades before we were born. We rubbed some sunscreen on our shoulders (courtesy of Chanelle), strapped on our leg ropes and ran into the water. I spotted Mindi, a little ways to my right, sitting atop her board and tying her hair back. I turned and focused on the upcoming wave. I duck dived underneath it, avoiding the turbulence. As I emerged from the salty water, I saw the next wave and knew that it was the one I wanted to catch.

I wiped my wet hair out of my face and paddled toward the wave. I took a deep breath and rose to my feet as the water ran beneath my board. With the sun smiling down on me, my feet gripping the wax on my surfboard and my two best friends riding on either side of me, life couldn't get any better.

Cliché, am I right?