Vermillion

CHAPTER 1 Jasmine Torch

So here's another day. It's the same everyday. Waiting for a flying ice cream truck filled with excitement and surprises to land infront of me.

Oh hey, I'm Jasmine Torch, sixteen and ready to give up on life. Let's see, mom and dad are always getting on a fight, maybe twice a week. I just can't keep up on school even if I focus on my studies, and my boyfriend's mom found out about us, what's worse? Well, his mom is the school's guidance counselor. We're so dead. His mom knowing about us is the last sign I'm waiting for us to forget the feelings we have for each other. All the odds are against me. I lost the boy that I really love and problems keep on pouring down on me. What a life.

Back to reality, I got out of my car and grabbed my bag. As I was walking down the hallway, my friend Ariz greeted me, she has this long dark brown hair and cute little eyes.

"Jasmine!" she greeted, grabbing my arm. "There's a new guy at school. Actually, guys." I stare at her for a few seconds, "Uh? What do you want me to do?" I asked, holding her arm. We got infront of our locker when my ex-boyfriend Mark stood behind us, since Ariz, Mark and me are really close friends I decided to stay with Mark while moving on.

"Ariz, Jasmine, I just got a glimpse of the two new students." Mark said, smiling. "And I'm so sure, they are your types Jasmine." Wow, this is a bit awkward, him, talking about boys that are my type. I opened my locker and got some of my books for the morning session, I looked at him and said, "My type? What do you mean?" and then the first bell rang, well atleast the bell let me finish my question.

Ariz, Mark and I have different first subjects. So I can spend time with our remaining friends, Troy, Ryan, and Pril. As usual, I took the seat next to the window. The teacher came in, with that usual smirk on his face. I call him Sir "Know-It-All" half sincere, half sarcastic.

"Good morning. I'm sure you guys are aware that we have new students. The younger one is your batchmate. And his first class is History. So, I'll just get him. Girls, don't drool." What's with the reminder? Is he really that hot? Oh well, I don't care.

I was practicing my signature on my notebook when I heard someone clearing his throat. I looked up and I saw everyone waiting for me to stop what I'm doing. "Talk about respect." a guy standing infront of the whole class uttered. He is, I think, six feet tall, black hair and light skin. He's cute but his first sentence annoyed me. "Jasmine, just let it pass." Pril told me and I just ignored this annoying guy infront of me. I put my pen down and listen to whatever this guy is saying.

"My name is Simon Leone." I heard almost half of my female classmates, laugh quietly and blushed. It's always like this, isn't it? Mr. new student is always hot. "Please, Leone, there are two free seats. Sit anywhere." I looked around and saw Simon walking to a vacant place, five seats away from me. I sighed in relief, because, he's really annoying me. Unfortunately he turned and sat on the place behind me. I stare at the teacher infront and I swear I can't concentrate.

After forty long minutes, the bell rang. I stood up and snatched all my things quickly. "Ms. Torch." I turned around and looked at him. "What? Mr. Leone?" He gave me a note. I know it's from the guidance office. I took it from him and read it aloud. "Ms. Jasmine Torch, you will be Mr. Simon Leone's guide for one whole week. The two of you share the same schedule. Mrs. Brown." I felt a heavy punch on my chest when I saw the signature, it was Mark's mother. She's pushing me away from her son.

"Well? Torch?" I looked at him, and sighed. "Fine, let's go, next class is Algebra." I walked out of the room and started my way to Algebra Class. Simon, walking beside me.

I opened the classroom's door and let him enter first. He grabbed the door knob along with my hand and I quickly pulled my hand away. "Ladies first." I entered the room and I can hear a lot of girls complimenting him. Mark smiled at me and asked me to sit beside her. I smiled then I remembered his mom wants me away from him. So I mouthed "Sorry." I sat on the last row and hugged my books for comfort. The same thing happened, Simon introduced himself. I tied my hair up in a ponytail. I notice Simon staring, I looked beside me and saw that there is a vacant seat. Instead of putting his books down, he turned around and sat beside Mark. I swear he was going to sit beside me.

I was staring at Simon for like forever. He caught my attention, I don't know why, maybe because he's sitting beside my ex-boyfriend or something else. And I can't believe I'm comparing their physical appearances and appeals. Mark is hot, he's captain of the soccer team, he got brown hair and perfect tanned skin. While this new guy is not really muscular, but still he got this aura around him that makes me want to check him out.

"Okay, turn your books on page one hundred and fifty six, and answer the exercises that you will find there." I mentally curse my teacher right now, she's killing us slowly with this math problems. I took my pen out and a piece of scratch paper. I grabbed my hair and removed my ponytail. "I can't answer these questions." I whispered to myself.

"Excuse me? But can we teach our classmates who are having a difficult time answering these exercises?" I heard Simon's cold voice dominated every sound in the room. "Mr. Leone? Hmm. Since it's just a practice, then, go ahead." I grabbed my hair and ignored him, I feel like I'm reading the same questions for the 30th time now!

"Torch." I looked up and saw him, staring down at me. What? He's going to insult me? "What?". I asked, looking away. He pulled a chair to my side. I can see Mark staring. "Maybe I can help you." He pulled out a pen and started solving a lot of equations. It took him ten minutes to answer all fifty questions, then he explained everything. "There? Got it? Start paying attention to the teacher." He stood up and walked away, and then the bell rang, finally, lunch. I just need some food to keep my brain working.