Paths

Red
I'm Red. Young, delicate, timid yet i was filled with curiousity. As the story goes, i always wear the scarlet, slight magentalic red hood that my mother made for me. I live in the crowded part of the woods. And in contrary, my grandmother's house was near the inner part of the woods. In going to her house, two paths can be met along the way.

The first path was safe. If i were to walk the other path, i could pass by the Wolf's lair. That's what i was told. Everyday, i pay a visit to my grandma. And yes, everyday i only pass the first one. People were banned from using the other path.

"Don't pass the other side.", reminded my mother before i left. I gave her an assuring nod. While walking in the woods, i paused between the two paths. I stared at both paths comparing one to the another. The other path doesn't seem scary at all.

I have never been to that way since i was a child and i was getting sick and bored of the view that i see every single day. Curiousity kept flowing around my mind. What could be there? Break the rules? Yes, indeed. On that day, rules were broken, adventure was waiting, questions were to be answered and fate intertwined.

I took the deepest breath i could before taking my first step on the other side. I walked slowly and keenly as i observed the surroundings. Trees grew, flowers bloomed and the wind whispered as the warm sunlight embraced me. Yes, this place was nice. No, better than the other side.

I headed to an apple tree nearby and rested. But as i slightly leaned to the side, i saw a shadow of a man on the other side of the tree. I was too diverted by the new world that i saw, that i forgot about the warning. Could it be? Or just hallucination?

My eyes widened and my heart raced. I was about to run when it spoke in a young man's voice, "Please, don't be afraid." Upon hearing his voice, my heart calmed down. In curiousity, i looked behind the tree but he kept on hiding back away.

"Please show yourself.", i requested. "Then you'd be afraid.", he answered in a slight timid voice. "You talk?" I asked in great shock. "Are you.." I added. "Yes. I'm a human like you.." he answered. "But cursed. And no! I don't harm." He continued.

For a moment i was relieved. "I'd just stay here on the other side.", he said. He really doesn't plan on showing himself to me. I continued to rest beneath the shade of the tree as we started talking. I had a great time talking to him, though we weren't face to face. I knew he was sincere.

I noticed it was getting late. Time really flies when you enjoy, right? "Good bye, friend." I bid farewell. Though his shadow was what i can only see, i know he was listening. I left.