★ | 009. back from the dead

Book: Burn It Down, House Of Wax
Chapter 9: Back From The Dead
Word Count: 1145

"Is there anybody left alive in this town?" Nick said to himself as they were walking towards the house Bo had told them about earlier

"What about this Vincent guy?" Carly asked.

"There might not even be a Vincent." Jacob grumbled. His arm didn't hurt that much anymore. He was lucky it hadn't been any deeper to where he would have needed to go to the hospital straight away. He just hoped it wouldn't get infected.

"We got to get out of this place." Nick rubbed the back of his head.

"Look what about Wade?" Carly asked, extremely worried about her boyfriend who she hadn't seen since he entered Bo's house. She could only hope he was okay. "And Dalton. We can't just leave them behind."

"You said your cell phones in the truck, right?" They came to a stop, now closer to the house that was only a short distance away from them.

"Yeah." Carly breathed out.

"Alright, this is what we're going to do." Nick looked between Jacob and Carly. "I'm gonna go up to the truck and get your cell phone so we can get some help. You two go back to the road, Paige and Blake are at the camp - "

"You can't be serious." Jacob cut him off with an annoyed expression. "I am not leaving you here by yourself you idiot."

"I'm just saying - "

"No." It was Carly who cut him off this time. "Neither of us are leaving you."

Jacob looked at Nick determinedly. "Can't believe you'd even suggest it." He said putting his hand behind Nick's neck and placing their foreheads on each other. "I'd never leave you behind."

"Why do you both have to be so damn stubborn." Nick sighed, putting his hand on Jacob's chest for only a moment before they pulled away from each other. "Okay. We stick together, nothing is going to happen to us."

"Yeah." Carly agreed.

"Come on." Nick urged.

They walked the rest of the way towards the house, Carly leading them towards where she had crashed the truck. She had nearly gotten away early but one unfortunate turn had rended the car useless so they couldn't drive it either.

"It's under the front seat." She said.

"Nice parking job." Nick said sarcastically. He opened the passenger side door and Carly leaned in, looking around the floor for her phone. Her hand moved under the seat for a few moments before she was leaning back up. "It's not in there."

Jacob ran his hands over his face in frustration. Yet another plan failed. He removed his hands and looked up at the house. Of course, it had to look like your typical haunted house to. It was just screaming at people to not come in. "We can't leave Dalton and Wade." He wasn't that close with Wade but Dalton was his best friend. They weren't going without either of them.

"Wade went in there and never came out." Carly said.

"Alright." Nick said and thought for a moment. "We go in quick, one pass, if we can't find them we have to get the hell out of here."

"Yeah." Carly agreed and Nick looked at Jacob for his answer. He nodded his head slowly.

"Okay." He said.

"Let's try the back." Nick suggested. They moved slowly through the tall grass, sneaking as quiet as they could as they made their way to the back of the house. "Stay close." Nick whispered to them. There arrived at a back door and Jacob spotted a bat leaning against the wall. He picked up up and gripped it tightly in his hands.

Nick put his hand on the door knob and looked at them, asking them with his eyes if they were ready to go in. They both gave a short nod and Nick breathed in quickly before turning the knob, opening the door quietly. It only squeaked a little bit as it opened. He stuck his head in and scanned around. When he was sure no one was there, he motioned for the other two to follow him in.

Jacob held the bat against his shoulder, ready to swing at anything that came at them. The house was dark on the inside and eerily quiet. Spider webs hung in the corner of each wall. It was also musty and had a disgusting smell wafting around.

Carly picked up the land line phone but just like at the gas station, this one didn't work either. Jacob knew better then to hope the thing would work.

"Dalton? Wade?" Jacob called quietly as he moved around. It was so quiet that if either of them did call for him, he could easily hear them. He moved from the kitchen into the living room, finding Nick who had wandered off from them. "We stick together, remember?" He whispered harshly, not wanting Nick to leave his sight.

"Sorry." Nick said apologetically. He also quietly called out for Wade or Dalton.

"Guys! Guys, there's guns." Carly said to them, looking at a gun that was behind a case. Jacob and Nick walked over to her. Jacob licked his lips as he stared at the gun. He wanted it so bad.

Nick reached forward to open the case but it was locked. Of course it was. "Give me that." Nick held out his hand for the bat. Jacob handed it over and Nick wrapped a cloth around the end of it before pushing into the glass case. The glass broke around the bat. Now the only thing that stood in there way was the second layer that keep the gun from them. It was in some sort of metal cage.

Nick grabbed the cage and tried to force it open but it was pointless. He grabbed the whole case and went to shake it but Carly shook her head. "It's bolted to the wall." She said.

"There's gotta be a key around here somewhere." Jacob said. He began to look over the counter tops, trying to find the key. He looked in drawers as well but wasn't coming up with anything.

The sound of the door slamming open and a loud grunt made Jacob widen his eyes, finding the closest hiding place which was under the table. Nick hid behind the fridge and he hadn't seen where Carly had gone but he knew she had grabbed the bat.

Jacob got a look at who entered and nearly gasped. It was Bo. He was still alive. He was clutching onto the arrow in his shoulder and grunting in pain every time he walked. They should have just smashed his head in when they had the chance!

★ ★ ★

Authors Note: See below!

Consider supporting me on Patreon and/or following me on YouTube 💕 Links in my bio