★ | 010. our friends are gone

Book: Burn It Down, House Of Wax
Chapter 10: Our Friends Are Gone
Word Count: 1188

Book: Burn It Down, House Of WaxChapter 10: Our Friends Are GoneWord Count: 1188

Jacob kept low to the floor as Bo moved into the kitchen. Nick was quick to find another hiding spot so he wasn't seen. Bo moved over to the sink and turned the water on, cleaning off his bloody hands. "Fuck!" He screamed as he ripped out the arrow from his arm. Then he got to work on the one in his chest.

Jacob looked at Carly and nodded at her to see if she was okay. She nodded at him back and gripped the bat tightly. He furrowed his eyebrows as light shone in through the window, another car pulling up in front of the house.

Jacob moved over to the window and looked out. His stomach flipped and he had to put a hand over his mouth to stop him from throwing up. In the back of the truck was Paige and Blake's dead bodies. A man with a wax mask got out of the truck, a dog following behind him. Jacob quickly ducked back down before he was seen.

He squeezed his hand over his mouth so tight, trying to distract himself.

Carly had also seen and was starting to hyperventilate. She was starting to make too much noise. Jacob snuck over to he, putting his arm around her shoulder and letting her bury her head into his shoulder, her body shaking and tears leaving her eyes. There backs were against the pool table.

Footsteps were leaving the kitchen and Jacob looked under the table to see Bo was walking out. He moved under the table and brought Carly with him, keeping his arms wrapped around her as they stayed quiet. Carly's breathing had slowed down as she calmed herself down.

Bo looked out the window and growled. "Goddamn it! I told him - I told him - " He spoke as he left the room and opened the front door. "Hey! You don't ever leave here without me! You know better then that! Don't be so stupid! What's the matter with you?!"

Both him and the other man, Jacob assumed that was Vincent, walked back into the kitchen.

Vincent tried to touch the wound on Bo's arm but Bo flinched back. "Don't!" He snapped at him. He tried again. "I said don't! Get! Get! Fucking freak!"

Vincent moved away from him and lit a match. He held the match and lit up a candle. Vincent turned away so Jacob couldn't see what he saw doing but he heard a sizzle.

"Hey, the towns looking real good. We almost finished what mum started. Those two are good. They'll fit perfect." Bo was now talking to Vincent more softly. "What did I tell you, huh? Ain't your work more real now? Mum would be proud. Yeah, she would be real proud. She always said that your talent would make up for what god took away from you. Now, there's three more. We still gotta a lot of work to do."

Bo left Vincent and walked into the living room. He spotted something on the floor and picked it up. It had been a photo Carly had accidently dropped earlier.

Jacob widened his eyes and grabbed Carly's hand and tugged her. They had to leave the room, now. The kept low as they moved from the room while Bo was distracted. Jacob didn't know where Nick had run off to but he was really worried.

He and Carly moved towards the stairs and walked up to the second floor. They only just got to it when a hand covered Carly's mouth and pulled her back. Jacob was just about to launch into an attack when he saw it was Nick.

He narrowed his eyes at him. "Where the fuck were you?" He whispered harshly.

"Don't worry. Just follow me." Nick whispered back. This was no time for arguing so he followed after Nick and didn't say anything else.

Nick lead them into a room that had a trap door with stairs. He started to walk down them when Carly said, "I saw Paige and Blake's bodies."

Nick looked at Jacob for confirmation and Jacob gulped. "She's right. I saw them. They're dead."

Nick could only ignore the pain in his chest. "We gotta go." He said bluntly. "Now."

After walking down the stairs, Jacob saw they were in some kind of basement. There were no windows and the floors were covered in dirty. If Jacob thought it smelled bad upstairs, it smelt ten times worse down here. There was also a very loud rumbling noise coming from a machine. Jacob wasn't to sure what it was but it was making his head thump.

"Damn." Carly had one hand clutching at her head and the other one still holding the bat.

Nick came to a stop in front of a doorway that was pitch black. "I can't see anything!" He yelled over the rumble. "There's gotta be a light here somewhere." He started flicking switches that were on the wall next to him. There were switches everywhere. Even a panel on the opposite wall.

Nothing happened each switch they flipped not until Nick found the right one that lit up the dark room. They continued to walk forward, Jacob being relieved to get away from that machine that was making all the noise.

They went though another hallway, water leaking from the roof. Jacob felt it splatter on his head but it didn't bother him. It was actually nice to get some cool water on him after the night he had had.

"What the hell..." He said, eyes darting around the room they entered. It seemed this was the place Vincent would make the wax figures. There was a large contraption at the back of the room where a body sat, covered in wax. "W - Who is that?" He couldn't help but stutter.

Nick who had found Dalton's hat and stood frozen, clutching the red cap in his hands. "Dalton."

"No, that can't be him." Jacob walked towards the contraption, praying it wasn't his best friend under all that wax. If it were would he even be able to survive something like that?

The only part of the body that wasn't covered in wax was the eyes. Two blue eyes stared back at them. Eyes that looked like Dalton's. Nick hovered his fingers over Dalton's cheek, tears coming to his eyes. "I - I'm gonna get you out of there."

He put his hand on the contraption that held Dalton's head in place. He tried pulling it apart but the only thing that happened was Dalton's head snapped off his body, still being held up by the contraption.

Jacob couldn't hold the contents of his stomach anymore and leaned over, vomit and bile pouring from his mouth.

"No, no..." Carly whimpered, holding a hand over her mouth and Nick's face was frozen in shock. "Nick, Nick, please." She didn't know what else to say as she sobbed.

★ ★ ★

Authors Note: See below!

Consider supporting me on Patreon and/or following me on YouTube 💕 Links in my bio