prologue - lorelei

June 15

It's my first day in Clark High today and to be honest, it's actually going quite well. I really did not know what I was doing or thinking when I first wanted to move to Pampanga. After that whole thing in Manila, I truly just wanted to go far away.

And so, I proposed the idea to my dad and he approved of it, although it does seem like he really just wanted me to not cause any more trouble than I already have. So much for the fatherly concern, dad. One thing led to another and after the hellish traffic in EDSA, here I am writing a journal entry in an empty classroom.

When I first arrived at my aunt's apartment complex last night, it was comforting to know that even though I'm in a completely new environment, someone I know will be there to guide me along the way. She showed me the way to my unit and I have to say that she really chose the best unit for me. It's not too cramped or spacious and it's just the right fit for one person. It already has all the appliances needed for one to function.

Most important of all, no roommates.

My aunt has some units rented by roommates but since a tenant moved out recently, she reserved the unit for me since she knows I'll be moving there. I have no complaints about the apartment at all; it's so refreshing to live a simple and modest life compared to the one I had in Manila. Although, I might be installing a couple locks soon, you know, just to be safe.

Clark High isn't so bad either. We had the standard first day of school introductions earlier and I kinda got the sense that people were curious about me since I'm a transferee. It really wasn't what I was going for but I made sure to just put enough in my introduction to satisfy my classmates' curiosity.

There were some who were really persistent though. There's this girl in my class named Rosetta and she seems to be the social butterfly of the bunch. She wanted to get to know me: how am I, where I'm from, why did I transfer, the usual. I kept my answers simple with her as well but she's still trying to get close to me despite that. We'll see how that goes.

There were also some guys in my class who wanted to get close to me too. Even though all of them smiled and were friendly while they were talking to me earlier, I will absolutely not be fooled by them. Ganyan naman sila diba? Mabait sa'yo sa una pero makikita mo rin talaga totoo nilang kulay kinalaunan. Just like what happened before...

Anyway, it's time already. The school bell rang and I have to get to class before anyone sees me hanging out in this classroom. Until next time.