a stray rat

*before reading this, i want you all to know that this is my first time writing. i apologize for any unproffessionalism. enjoy.

surviving through the unknown depths of this city, a place unfamiliar and difficult to grasp. stuck like a stray rat digging for trash on the streets, will adaption easy for an outsider like me? or will my life flash before my very eyes?

resting in my long and sweet, sweet slumber. im like a bear in hibernation. no one wake me up please. im just here snoring my problems away.

ugh, i really am like a rodent sniffing 'round for rotten cheese. nah, im cool. wayy cooler than that. im waaaay—

"AHH!" i scream as i feel cold water get splashed on my face by one of the caretakers at the foster home im staying at. im waken up to the same, day-care-like room. colorful stickers covering the walls, though they're starting to peel off from how absolutely ancient they are. jeez. at least my bed is placed right by the windowsill. im not complaining at all. still, i would rather suffer from that stupid rat dream anyday. im still trying to get used to this foster thingy.

"what did you do that for?!" i abruptly screamed. the lady just rolled her eyes at me.

"you're going to be late for school. i dont wanna get fired from my job by failing to wake your lazy butt up." she sarcastically muttered as she went back downstairs.

i notice that i was the only one who was still asleep. the other beds were empty and had the sheets fixed already. tsk, couldnt i just skip today?

i get out of my bed, not even bothering to fix it. im basically just a slug stepping foot out of my bed. i feel like im forgetting something. oh well. i should probably go to the kitchen already. wait, my playing cards.. where are they? oh shit. i frantically run around the room, checking under the beds, in the drawers.. aha! it was just in one of the shelves.

i sigh in relief as i pick up the deck of cards from the wooden slab. i see something else shiny beside it.

"oh a coin!" i said to myself. now, if i were to steal this. it would be very bad. why would i steal from my own foster sibling? that is so immoral of me. ehhh actually who am i kidding. free ramen for me!

i finally, after many minutes of trying to find my beloved cards, manage to put on my uniform. im just noticing how tacky it looks. i mean, i am in a public school. there are dirt stains on my blouse, as well as my shoes. the dark blue from my ribbon tie is starting to fade as well. im also reusing the same bandages i used last week. ha! i look so scrappy. eh, whatever.

i rush down the stairs going to kitchen, the clacking of my shoes getting the attention of the caretakers.

"why do you look like that?" all of them side commenting on the way i look

"why the hell do you care?" i scoffed, quickly grabbing the brown paper bag with my lunch in it, storming out the door. i run to the bus station, taking my frustration out.

tsk, so annoying. i mean, yeah, i do look like i just got hit by a tsunami, but what are they gonna do about it? the only way i could ever like them if they gave me a huge, huge cheque, or gave me some 24k golden ring. i tap the pocket in my skirt to see if my cards were there. okay, thank god.

i was so close to the bus station. and so close to passing out from my weak legs. big blaring bright lights were shining directly at me from a mile away. it was still dark despite it being morning already. shit, the bus was about to leave me. i try to pick up the pace, the breezy wind brushing through my hair as i rush to catch up to the bus.