Soul In The Void

Character Descriptions:

Yaonome (18 at the start) (He/Him) - Part of a race called Neru's. Extremely pale skin, white fluffy hair tied up into a high ponytail. Piercing orange eyes. Wears a simple white-ish gray semi-long sleeve shirt and pants with cloth boots; these were the clothes distributed to the slaves of the local nobles. Wears a black cape that reaches to about his knees, the cape is made of the void matter Neru's can control and are made up of. Has a large mark on his back made of the matter. Neru's can control the matter through any part of their body but the mark on the back is always visible. The mark can intake things of any size into the Neru's void, where their round orange souls are located. Void matter has a sort of slime consistency though is a bit more solid but still squishy. Yaonome is a very soft talking and nervous boy, he's easily flustered. Neru's are often ostracized by society as many believe you will be cursed to a terrible fate if you touch them.

Hotaru (19 at the start) (He/Him)- A member of a rebellion group since he was a young teenager. Sort of sly and teasing though often having more muted facial expressions and speech. He's very honest and blunt about his feelings and rarely doubts himself. He has silky black hair that lays a bit past his shoulders and grey eyes. Wears a long dull brown cloak, a plain grey-ish long sleeve shirt tucked into dark grey poofy pants tucked into his boots. The pants have golden accents on both sides of Hotaru's family crest, a swirl with two horns. Hotaru's family was highly respected in their village until a military group was sent to burn down the village and kill the residents as they housed members of a rebel group. The few survivors were taken in by the rebel group which is when Hotaru joined them. 

Yaonome could hear the yelling and clashes of battle through the walls through his isolated cell room. He held his knees close to him and held his eyes shut as he trembled. His body tensed as he heard footsteps quickly enter his room. "..Hey" a mans voice said, Yaonome opened his eyes and looked up worriedly a the young man standing in front of him, he stayed ready to move quickly if need be. He reached out his hand to Yaonome "Come with me, we've already taken most of the others out of the city.". Yaonome tried to push himself further into the wall, averting his eyes with his still worried expression "N- No, please go without me. It's dangerous for others to be around me, you'll be cursed.". The man looked surprised for a moment the softly smiled and went down onto one knee closer to Yaonome "Don't worry, you wont hurt anyone.". Yaonome held his hand close to his chest and spoke even softer "Y-Your too close. It's not safe...". The man slowly reached out his hand and gently slid his hand under Yaonome's, softly holding it and pulling it closer to him, startling Yaonome as he spoke is a warm tone "I'm not afraid of you, see? There's no curse. So, please come with me. I promise to protect you.". Yaonome's cheeks flushed pink as he looked at their hands clasped together. he finally looked up to meet the mans eyes "A- Alright.... I'll go with you." he nodded. The mans smile slightly widened before he stands up still holding his hand "My names Hotaru, and yours is?". He rose to his feet, looking into Hotaru's eyes "...Yaonome."

The rebel group finally made it back into their encampment at nightfall, Hotaru and Yaonome following close behind. "Were here. You and the others can stay with us here." said Hotaru. "Hotaru!" a booming voice shouted as a large man with an intense expression approached the two Hotaru- "Ah.. yes captain?". The man turned to glare at Yaonome "How could you bring something as dangerous as this here?! Do you not know the risk you are putting to all of these peoples lifes?!". Hotaru looked surprised before his brows furrowed Hotaru-" He's not dangerous! I touched him and wasn't cursed.". The captains intense expression turned serious as his voice quieted "There is more danger to them then just the curse." Hotaru looked puzzled "It can't stay here. Take it to the exit and send it on it's way.". Hotaru's furrowed brows eased Hotaru-"No. I promised to protect him so that's what I'm going to do. If he's leaving then I am as well." Yaonome looked at him in shock and confusion Yaonome-" Huh?!". The captain seemed shocked as well, his shock then becoming angered disbelief "W-What are you thinking?! After everything we've done for you and you're just leaving because you made a promise to some stranger?!". Hotaru-" Yes, that's right." Hotaru grabs Yaonome's hand and starts leading him to the exit "Let's go, Yaonome." Yaonome stuttered in confusion as they walked. The captain watches as they leave with a furrowed brow though feeling concerned for the boy he had watched over for so many years "Hmph, He'll learn you can't live your life just on a whim...".