Memories

Claire had gotten a call from the Doctor saying her mother's illness was worsening. She knew this was probably going to be the last chance to see her mother. After school Claire went with Serah to the hospital to say their final goodbyes.

They got to her room. She looked so frail, almost like a ghost. Claire kept holding onto Serah's hand trying not to break down right then and there. They went closer to her and sat down next to the bed she was laying on. Their mother opened her eyes and smiled at them.

"I'm feeling good today. I think I want to eat some fruit. Serah, would you go and buy some for me?" Their mother asked.

"I'll go." Claire said, standing. But her mother smiled.

"Serah's better at choosing delicious food." Their mother stated.

"Mm-hmm, and I'm a better cook too." Serah said, proud of herself while leaving the room.

Claire looked at her mother and started to tear up. She tried to make out a sentence but she couldn't find the words. Her mother stretched out her hand and held her close while stroking her rose coloured hair.

After staying like after for 5 minutes her mother started to sing. She would always sing this song whenever Claire or Serah were sad.

"Make my wish come true, let darkness fade to light. Show me there's still hope, show me it's not over. Battles we can win, our struggle lies within. Will we live to greet the dawn? Love will not leave you, hate will not heal you.."

Suddenly the singing stopped.

Claire looked up at her mother to see that she was no longer breathing and the life that sparkled in her bright blue eyes was now gone.

"Promise me one day that peace shall reign," Claire sang to her dead mother. Tears still streaming down her face.

This was the moment Claire knew her childhood was now over.