one

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

My roommate was being crazy, as always. That's one of the many perks of living in a tiny, (emphasis on the tiny) place with another person. And as much as I love Bella, sometimes you just get sick of someone, even if they have been your best friend for over a decade.

"WE ARE GOING TO BE LATE. LET'S GO!" she screamed at me.

I don't blame her, I mean I am always late. But today we couldn't be. We were going to look at apartments. Bella's family is rich. Like, very rich. Billionaire. Gazillionaire if that's even possible. We grew up going to the same school, a private Catholic school and have been friends ever since. While Bella grew up wealthy, I however, did not. The only reason I even went to school there was because my mom worked there so I went for cheaper. We didn't have much money growing up; my Dad worked tirelessly on labor jobs while my Mom worked for the school. And with my older brother and I, money just never seemed to stretch as much as they would've liked it too.

I buttoned my trench coat and stepped out onto the pavement with Bella. The apartment was not too far, but enough of a walk to make me regret my shoe choice. Wearing black high-heeled boots looked cute in the mirror with my cream-colored trench coat, but wasn't practical for the weather here in Michigan. Bella and I go to the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor. Although we had always dreamed of going to college together, when we both got into the prestigious school it seemed too good to be true. Bella was majoring in business and foreign relations, while I was more of a STEM, engineering type of girl. Ever since I was little, math has been my strong suit. I mean I was still good at other subjects, but I seemed to excel in math.

"Looking good ladies. Can I get y'all's snaps?" a boy asked as we walked by.

"Go to hell," said Bella.

Bella has had her eye on the same man since we first started here at U of M. His name is Noah, and they've briefly met in class, but if you ask Bella, it's love at first sight. In my opinion, I don't think she should let one man ruin her chances with anyone else, but I try to stay out of it because she's a little too scarily obsessive and I don't want to get in the middle. 

We arrived at the apartment complex after a short 15-minute walk, and from my first impressions, it's absolutely gorgeous, which means it's expensive. I frown at the thought of the price, even though I am not paying anything, much to my dismay. I hate being paid for or made to feel poor. I know the rent of this place doesn't even make a dent in Bella's dad's bank account, but it still makes me feel absolutely useless. But even if I tried to pay, Mr. and Mrs. Stone wouldn't let me. They are like my second family. Bella grew up with all sisters, and it almost seems like I am a part of their family sometimes with the way they treat me.

"Ah, you must be Miss Bella and Miss Valentina?" a man says while walking towards us. He is dressed nicely in a suit, and I assume he is showing us around.

"Hi! Yes, I am Bella and this is Valentina. We are so excited to see the place!" Bella says, taking charge of the situation, which I am silently thankful for. Most of the time I am a confident, loud woman but sometimes I just can't always be.

We take the elevator up to the 28th-floor penthouse suite of the building. There is one more floor above us, but the realtor refuses to say who lives there which leaves Bella and I to wonder why he is being so suspicious about it.

The elevator door opens to an absolutely gorgeous penthouse filled with windows. To say this is my dream would be an understatement. While Bella and the realtor talk statistics, I take a look around the place. It is very spacious with 3 bedrooms, a living room and kitchen, along with an open concept floor plan. Bella and I look at each other, sharing that look that encapsulates "I love it. This is our place." She tells the man we do not need to see any more places, that this is the one for us. He seems joyful, probably because of the hefty commission he'll be making, and tells us we are free to move in any time from now on. He hands each Bella and I a set of keys. We share a confused look.