Lap Dance

Vader watched as [Name] nibbled at the food on her plate. She stared at him occasionally, a question in her eyes as she peeked at him through her lashes. He could tell she wasn't exactly sure if he was asleep or awake because he sat so still. Nor would he tell her. Instead he watched, as the liquid meal pumped artificial flavor into his senses.

[Name] knew nothing about the tyrant. Was he old? Or young? Was he human? Was he born in this terrible predicament or did something happen to him? For some reason, she wanted to know more. She had no idea the suit was there to protect him. She thought he wore it to intimidate and frighten. Who was the man beneath the mask?

Vader sensed her curiousity... concern, and dare he acknowledge it... care? When was the last time somebody really cared about him?

He thought about Padme. But Padme was a liar. She kept secrets from him. She brought Obi-Wan to Musafar to kill him. She conspired against the chancellor with the 2000 senators behind his back to embarrass him.

And why did [Name] care about him anyway? He was an evil tyrant, a role he humbly accepted because all other options were lost after Padme died and the emperor rescued him.

The pump made a loud sifting noise and [Name] realized it was done. How long was he going to let the pump pull air from the empty vial?

"I don't understand you," [Name] said. She felt foolish. Did he even hear her? It was like talking to a wall.

"What is there to understand?" he asked. "Understanding is useless," he added offhandedly.

So bitter... she thought. "How does someone as powerful as you, Your Lordship, become so..." [Name] shrugged-suddenly at a loss for words.

"Weak? Pathetic?"

"That wasn't exactly my line of thought. I hardly think you're weak. Quite the contrary. I was going to say 'dependent'. People cater to you morning, noon, and night. Do you do anything on your own?"

Beneath the black mask, Vader smiled. He killed on his own. Wiped entire armies from the face of the galaxy on his own... What more did he need to do?

[Name] stood and walked toward the machine which sat next to his chair. She leaned next to him, then turned the air from the pump off. She was surprised she was able to reach it, since it was barely within her grasp. Why did he move it? Far enough in fact, to throw her off balance and cause her to fall right in his lap.

[Name] gasped and her face turned beet red. She was a dead woman...

But Vader was still again, like some statue carved of dark obsidian rock. [Name] froze. Behind the darkness was a face of terror. She gazed at him... then tried to see the eyes beyond the mask... Up close, he didn't look real. He looked like a machine.

"Am I so hideous to your eyeeees that you can only stare at me?"

[Name] covered her mouth with a hand, "I'm sorry!" she exclaimed.

"I don't neeeeed your pity," he answered.

[Name] slid from his lap.

"I wasn't showing you pity. I was curious... Like, how old are you?" she blurted.

Vader sat still.

"I mean, are you young? Old? Alive?"

Vader did not move.

[Name] walked toward the door and opened it, certain she had crossed the line. "Nevermind..." she mumbled. "I'm sorry."

Then stepped into the corridor, and closed the door behind her.