Chapter 1 The fox is born

A typical stormy night in Gotham a young woman is clinging to a building with a man standing over her. She struggles to get to her other hand on the ledge as the man stepped on her other hand making her loosen her grip. Just as she is unable to hold on much longer as the man moves his foot and runs off. It didn't help that her fingers were numb and sore from the cold and she lost her grip. She fell and a shout was heard before the embrace of strong arms around her as she fell the sound of something like a zipline could be heard and the feeling of falling stopped. She fell unconscious. Batman laid her down gently on her back as they reached the roof from his batclaw. He looked at the surrounding area before pulling her close to his chest and covering both him and the woman under his cape. He looked up when he heard a familiar voice.

"Batman?" A young man in black suit with a blue bird on his chest appeared.

"Nightwing," Batman said softly.

"Fox...is she okay?" Night wing ran over.

"I am not sure her vital signs are low." Batman responded.

"We should get her back to the cave." Nightwing said.

"Yeah..." Batman looked at Fox before summoning the batmobile.

They arrived at the Batcave and brought Fox to a bed and warmed her up. They could only wait now.

August 7th, 1997

Lorain Heartwell was born to Paul and Megan Heartwell at 11:59 a.m.

"Look at her, Paul, she is so beautiful." Megan said, holding Lorain in her arms.

"You know we can't keep her, Megan.... She has to be put up for adoption." Paul said to Megan.

"But..." Megan started.

"No buts.... She will only get in the way of our success." Paul interrupted.

Megan and Paul put her up for adoption right after that conversation. Lorain was left in the hospital with no parents. That night her parents were killed by one of Paul's employees who had been fired.

August 1998

Lorain is a year old now and has a home with Kelly and Lucas Jones. She had an older brother Thomas Jones. She shows a lot of intellect for her age. She can form sentences and read some words at this point. Lucas knows a lot of deaf people, so he was teaching his children sign language as well as German since he visited Germany quite often. Kelly spends most of the time with the kids since she was a stay-at-home mom. She noticed that Lorain excelled in many things when it came to learning. Kelly very rarely had to get on to Lorain about anything. Lorain learned things by watching and doing. She figured out puzzles by watching Kelly helping Thomas.

December 2002

Lorain sat quietly while her brother Thomas complained about what his breakfast was. Lorain looked much different from the rest of the Jones. She was fair skinned with freckles and light blonde hair. Her eyes had sectional heterochromia with blue and green in both. She didn't find it odd since she had grown up in this home. Thomas has a light skin complexion with light brown hair and blue eyes to match. Kelly has a beautiful brown complexion to her skin with curly hair that was black and beautiful with deep green eyes. Lucas was fair skinned like Lorain with blue eyes and freckles with darker brown hair.

It was a cold December evening, Thomas and Lorain were playing in the living room. Kelly and Lucas were talking in the kitchen about something. Kelly had been sick recently and going to the hospital for long periods of time. Lorain got tired of playing with Thomas and walked into the kitchen. Lucas and Kelly went silent, and Lorain signed to them asking for a drink. Lorain used sign language more than her voice. She was shy and it helped her communicate when she didn't want to talk with her voice. Lucas poured Lorain some of her favorite juice and sent her back into the living room.