Pregnancy

Aelin P.O.V

I sighed internally as the last of them filed out of the throne room. After nearly six hours of sitting on my throne, listening to all of the complaints and requests and news and everything, I was exhausted, to say the least. How Rowan could stand standing through all of it, I have no idea, but I was done.

"You okay?" Rowan gave me an apologetic smile, knowing how I was feeling. I shook my head, and slipped down from my throne. Technically, Rowan should have a throne next to mine, and shouldn't have to stand through all of it, but we kind of haven't gotten around to that yet. Plus, he doesn't seem to mind.

"Here." I leaned on him, nodding goodbye to the guards as we left the room. Rowan's strong arm around my waist felt amazing after sitting stiff all day, and I leaned into his warmth. He smiled at me, a knowing look in his eyes, and I managed a wince back.

"Could you-" I glanced around, a faint blush finding my cheeks. Not that I didn't want people to see Rowan carrying me, but I was their queen, and that didn't seem very queenly.

Before I could change my mind though, he lifted me off the ground and started down the hallway towards our rooms. I sighed, leaning my head against his waist. A low pain was slowly spreading across my lower back and abdomen, and I silently counted the days since my last cycle. It should be coming soon, I thought. Great. 

I laughed quietly as I remembered when my cycle first came back. Chaol, ever the gentleman, had nearly tripped over himself from embarrassment, getting out of my rooms so fast it was almost comical. And then Dorian, barging in and not listening to a word I said.

"Care to share, Fireheart?" I smiled up at Rowan, suddenly feeling a bit better. I quietly told him about it, and he laughed when I recalled Chaol's embarrassment. 

"How are him and Yrene these days?" I shrugged, leaning against him again when another slight pain curled around my stomach. 

"I haven't heard from them or Dorian lately, actually." I winced.

Rowan leaned down and brushed a kiss over my forehead. "And how are you? Is there anything I should know that you decided not to tell me, or are those days long over and done with and you don't keep even the slightest thing from your beloved mate?" I smiled, shaking my head.

"I think I'm just sore from sitting all day. And hungry, if my stomach has anything to do with it." 

Finally reaching our rooms, Rowan kicked open the door and walked in, still not setting me down. 

"Well, I'll have someone get you lunch, because we don't want my Fireheart to be hungry a second longer." I smacked his shoulder, scowling, but he just sat on the bed, still holding me.

"Are you really all right? You seem a bit...different." I shrugged, my gaze flicking down to his mouth, then back up at his eyes. He noticed, though, and scooted us back on the bed to lean against the headrest. I sighed as I tangled my fingers in his hair, as his hands tightened around my waist. 

A soft groan slipped out of me, and I leaned forward and brought my mouth to his. He met me halfway, and then I was lost in the taste of his mouth and the feel of his strong hands. 

I broke away, panting softly. A low ache was building somewhere deep inside me, and I shifted on his lap, dragging a soft growl from Rowan's lips. He tugged my mouth back to his, and I opened for him, my fingers clenching in his shirt. 

"Aelin," he murmured against my lips. I let him switch us around, until I was lying against the pillows and he was above me. His head dipped down to my neck, and I let him play, content to relax below him for a while.