FIGHTS! A DOGS TALE

"WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!" was all that was heard over the barking of the dogs. Changing of the bulky metal chains was filling the air. Tonight was the worst night of the week maybe the last for some of us bullies. I just wanted to run and not look back, but I couldn't leave my master. It was a thing that most do not understand but it just can't be." I must not leave," is all I said to myself. I was barking as loud as ever just to impress the others each as big and powerful as I was. We didn't want this to happen but each of us had a devotion to are masters, pyhsically and mentally. Our masters, mine was called Joe, were talking and laughing by the ring handing out green paper (money) to each other. None of us knew why but we did know that we need to win or kill! Only one could please our master only one would survive. It was now our only thing to do in life and we needed to acheive the best pleasment or be dead. It isn't fun but it is our life, my life! The air was smokey and wrenched with a fragrant familar to all of the fighters, we spelt it weekly or even daily for some of the big timers.

Joe came over to my tie and grabbed my 15 lb chain and lifted me alittle. "Today, Today is the day, win or die. Do it for me!" he whispered as he shook me alittle. He was trying to get me exited. I didn't work really anymore, but I just acted like it did. I was growling and barking and lunging at the ring. I was just tired. I have been practicing for months everyday 3 times a day; running, eating, pulling, eating, running, pulling and so on, I was done! I just want a bed to sleep on and a person to hold me in their arms at night. I wanted to leave and not look back. Again, "I must not leave, Stay" was all I heard in my wide head. 

"The fights are start'n," shouted one of the other masters. "You guys ready to lose!" he shouted again. His dog, Big Black or BB, was a huge black and white pitbull that wore scares of past fights on his body, some still fresh from fights only days ago. He was a good fighter but like all the others, he didn't want to be there. He wanted the greatness of life and to have a huge bowl of food in front of his paws twice a day, not just alittle food that was just some yucky power and energy stuff. We all wanted meat and lots of it! The first pair of dogs went into the ring. One on one side and the other in the opposite corner.

The masters let go of their obedient dogs, they clashed in the middle. Holding eachother, niether wanting to not please their masters. "fight you sissy dog!" shouted the younger master. "kill em, kill em, sissy!" he shouted again. The other master shouted too. Thirty minutes later there was a winner, pleaser. The bigger dog won! One after another the killing had began, if they didn't kill one another then some how they ended up not coming out, at least one would but the loser would never be seen again. I never did find out where they went but who did? I really didn't want to fight!

I was next. Joe came and grabbed my chain collar and draged me into my corner. I wasn't ready, but I looked up at Joe and he gave me that look of honor and then I was. It was on just as I was trained to do for years in advance. I have the drive to do what my master wants just like all the other pitbulls chained up all over the building. That's all, drive. We had more of it than any other breed in the world, that is why we all die in the end. It comes to me now and then that there are people out there that don't want us to do it, but they just don't understand us as well as they should. At least I think there are people that don't want us to be this way. Arn't there?

The other dog came out. It was BB, we looked at eachother in ahh. Then Joe and the other master let go. The fight of my life was on, I lunged onto the black, bulky neck of BB. Ir was back and forth biteing and tearing at eachother. We both whimpered in pain as we tore at eachother body and face! It was just our masters calling out that kept it going. "FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!" was all we heard from two single people. I had to please my heart was beating three times as hard as a regular training and my muscles poped out as I pressed down on my oponent... BB had enough he was done. Joe came and grabbed my chain collar and smiled down at me and patted my bloody head. I could now feel the pain of my wounds all over my shoulders, neck, and head. Yet I still made my master happy and that is all that mattered!

CRASH, CRASH!! Was the sound that came next. Twenty or so people in black suits and wierd hats came running through the door. "Hands up, Hands up!" the men said as they crashed in. All the masters threw their hands up and we started to bark in fright. I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my paw on it. So I barked in the chorus! Next all the people with sticks came and put them around our necks. They put us into little metal cages with bars for doors and we all barked thinking we were going to fight again. All I can think about was, not again! The thud of the car door and it went dark. I just sank into the corner awaiting my fait.

Then there was light. A man I never saw before in a white skin came and started to sweetly talk to me through the cage. Then I fell asleep. I woke up in a room that had smells that I never smelled before. It smelt clean and of dogs with a wierd odor. I kinda liked it and I felt good inside. They petted me all over and was cleaning me with stuff. Then I was put into a cage bigger than the one at home and had a bed of my own. It felt nice! A lady came and gave me a big bowl of meat and called me Bubba. She bent down in my cage and I gave her a kiss on the cheek! I really like her.

A month later, my wounds all healed and my body was as big as it was in along time. I was really happy! That day, Saturday, the lady that always comes and gives me treats and I give her kisses came with some new masters. They were little like me and smelled new, like a puppy. They smiled and came into my cage, I was soft with them. I didn't want to break them, so I gave them soft little kisses and they did too! The lady, Sara, put something around my neck and I had the urge to follow her and the little masters out the door. They petted me all the way out the door and into another car. I remeber the car being a good thing now and jumped with my still powerful rear legs right into the car with the little masters. Then we got to another place not like any place I've been to before, it smelled like trees and grass. It was a friendly place! They took me through one more door and let me go, I didn't know what to do. There was no dog to fight and no cage bed to go to, so I did something better I sat at my new masters feet and felt happy, then she patted my head and smiled saying "Good boy Bubba, Good boy!"

Today, I have a master that doesn't want me to fight, little masters that play with me and let me sleep in a huge bed all the time, food (real food that is meat and some veggies), and above all someone to hold me all night (and day)! This is what my breed is about, pleaseing, what ever the measures are that is what we do. Judge the deed not the breed. We love until we die, no matter how we do die! We (I) am a PITBULL!

THE END