Chapter 1

Amber's POV:

"DAD!", I fall to the ground and hold my fathers scolded body to my chest. Frantically, I cup my wounded hands around his scared cheeks.

"Dad, please wake up", I scream whilst shaking him. His eyelids are slightly parted. I can just about make out his faint breathes over the roar of the flames.

"A....Am....Amber?", he weakly whispers, closing his eyes fully once again.

"Yes dad, it's me, Amber, your daughter", my voice begins to crack.

The heat grows more intense and parts of the school come crashing down towards us. As I let out a yelp, a large wooden plank from what was my childhood climbing frame almost crushes my father. Luckily, I yank him out of the way a split second before it hits the ground, spreading the inferno across the playing field.

"Dad, we have to go", I say, not being able to control my shaky voice. He mumbles something but I'm unable to make it out. I attempt to pull him to his feet but he's too weak. Each time I try, I fail and he falls back down on to the embers. Scorching flames begin to close in on us. The smoke makes my throat tighten. I can't breathe. We need to escape but my fathers too heavy and I can't lift him.

I watch in horror as his suit catches fire. "DAD!", I yell just as the flames catch the back of my left leg. I dart off towards the gate. I can't think of what else to do. I can't do anything. 'Don't look back Amber, don't look back', I tell myself, but I do. "DAD! Dad no", I begin to sob and I watch helplessly as my father is engulfed by the hell that has been created.

"DAD!", I awake with a jolt. A headband of swear litters my forehead. I notice the familiar sweet smell of cinnamon and realise that my mother's arm is wrapped around my shoulders.

"It's ok honey, it was just a bad dream", she assures me in her soothing voice before leaning in and giving me a hug.

"But why does it keep happening?", I ask her with tear filled eyes. I don't understand. He died when I was nine yet still I have the same nightmare each night. It's killing me.

"I'm sorry sweetie, but I just don't know", she finally responds with pity in her voice whilst handing me a steaming mug of coffee.

"Now come on, get ready. The removal van will be here in an hour or so", my mother advises me before leaving my tiny bedroom-which I swear is more like the smallest walk in wardrobe in the entire history of the universe.

Shit! I forgot I'm leaving for uni in an hour. One hour. I down my coffee before following my mum down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Muuuuum, why did you have to get a removal van to pick me up?", I whine whilst placing the mug into our dishwasher.

"You should be grateful. At least now you don't have to carry all your bags to the bus stop", she replies and I roll my eyes at her.

"You know I only have three bags don't you mum", I say sniggering. "And I wanted you to come with me and now you can't", I pout at her and she gives me a sweet smile.

"I am, you silly billy", and she places a quick kiss on my forehead.

"Come on now, you've already wasted fifteen minutes"-Oops. I sprint upstairs and begin to get ready.