Chapter One

As I finished the final bar, I lifted my hands and waited for the inevitable applause.

"Woohoo!" my Papá yelled. He clapped loudly, while Mamá rolled her eyes.

I turned around and faced my Papá. I crossed my arms and pointed out, "You don't yell at a classical concert, Papá."

"Who says?"

"Says, everyone."

"Well then you can tell 'everyone' that your Papá won't follow their rules," he teased.

I rolled my eyes. "Papá."

"Okay, I'll behave mi hijita linda," he grinned.

I smiled, but Mamá slapped my behind.

"Oi! What?"

"We're gonna eat, set up the table!"

I smiled playfully, and Papá switched the T.V. on. He flicked through some channels. He found one playing piano, and he stopped and listened for a bit.

I knew who he was listening to.

It was obviously Elijah Jones. He's only semi-famous because his dad was famous. I guess he can play the piano, but I can too and I'm not famous. But his dad is rich, so he gets to do whatever he wants.

Elijah and I have been rivals ever since we've known each other, which has actually been awhile. It's not my fault, he was the one who said my piano playing was bad. Who is he to talk?

"¡Eres mejor que este chico!" Papá complained. "You're way better than this guy!"

"Well, he's the one on the stage, so what can you do?" I said as I grabbed the utensils from the cabinet.

"Tu papá tiene razón," Mamá pointed out. "Your father is right."

I finished putting the utensils on the table. "Yeah but..."

"But what?"

"They have money and we don't."

Mamá turned from the stove and put her hands on her hips. "¡Oye, no digas eso! You're just as smart as the rest of them, maybe even smarter!"

"I know I'm smart."

Mamá scoffed, "Don't brag, you obviously got it from your mother."

"What did I just hear?"

"Nada, José!"

"That's what I thought," I heard him mutter.

Mamá winked at me. I winked back.

"Come on, la comida está lista. The food is ready!"

I could literally see Papá lick his lips. How could he not? Mamá always made the best food.

"Hoy vamos a comer lentejas," she chuckled. "We're gonna have lentils today."

"You're the best cook," Papá grinned.

"I know," said Mamá. Then they kissed.

"Blah, we're at the table!" I said, out of disgust.

"Someday you are going to find love and you're going to regret what you just said. Now eat."

I rolled my eyes. All I needed to focus on was getting into Berklee, not some boys like the girls at school do. The last thing I need is a boy distracting me.

"You know me, Mamá," I said as I dug into the lentejas.

Mamá scoffed. "I'm telling you. That Ethan boy doesn't look half bad."

I choked on my food. "Elijah?! That's the kid on T.V! We hate each other."

"Oh...wait, that's his name?" she asked, confused.

"Yes, Mamá. We've been over this," I shook my head.

"Right, right. Did you know about Ethan, José?" she asks Papá.

"It's Elijah," I corrected her.

"Whatever, ¿sabías José?" she asks again.

Papá nodded his head. "Sí, you gotta keep up Sofiá."

Mamá looked annoyed that she didn't know about Elijah.

I shrugged and finished eating.

"Already? Camila you just devoured your food!" Papá exclaims.

"I know," I grinned. "I'm gonna go practice."

"Muy bien, mi hijita."

I stick out my tongue at him. Papá laughs as he goes to get a glass of water.

I've practiced so many times, my parents say I'm like a music player.

So Elijah.

You're going to have some problems if you don't keep up with me.