[2021] Sunny's Korean Godmother

With a huge paper bag in her right hand, she walked past the zebra line at the traffic light after the light for pedestrians turns green. After reaching the other end, she walked a few more minutes before stopping in front of an old traditional restaurant.

When she entered, there were about 3 tables filled with customers.

"Aigoo! Sunny!" the voice of the old lady made Sunny smile widely. She walks towards the old lady and embraced her gently. The old lady also hugged Sunny tightly.

"How are you, granny?" Sunny asked the old lady after hugging her.

"I am doing good, Sunny. How are you?" she asked her. Sunny smiled and nodded, "I'm healthy too. Doing good. Do you have any work right now? Have you taken dinner?" Sunny asked granny while putting the paper bag on a table.

"No. I haven't taken dinner yet. What is this?" Granny asked while pointing at the paper bag.

"I cooked some food for you, granny. So, you won't need to cook again when you reach home later. I also packed some food from the company's lunch just now. We had a meeting and there was a lot of food. Still untouched. So, I thought I would bring some back and give to you, granny." Sunny said while taking out the containers from the paper bag.

"Aigoo, Sunny... you didn't have to," Granny said. Sunny grinned.

"Granny, let's eat together. If there are customers, I'll help you later. You need to eat first." Sunny said while taking chopsticks and plates from the small kitchen area.

Granny chuckled and nodded, "If you say so."

Sunny placed the chopstick on the plate that she puts in front of both of them. Sunny cooked a few pieces of scramble eggs that she mixed with carrots, beef with its broth, some potatoes and cabbage. While the two of them eat, they talked together.

Back in 2016 when Sunny just came to Seoul, this old lady was the one who accompanied Sunny most of the time. Sunny always goes to her restaurant to eat after training.

She was also the one who gives a lot of advice and motivated Sunny in many ways. Sunny appreciate her help and ask her once. Why does she care a lot for Sunny?

She said that her children have long gone and never come home. Seeing Sunny reminds her of when her daughter came home from school. Exhausted and unmotivated. She would give her a plate of her handmade rice cake and she would love it so much.

The same happened with Sunny.

She came back from training, exhausted but when eating granny's rice cake, she felt energized.

Since then, she constantly came to granny's restaurant. And granny loves to see Sunny too. Granny is like Sunny's god-grandmother in Seoul. She would tell Sunny about her day, tell Sunny about her family. Her husband passed away during a military mission. Passed away when he was only 34 years old. Now, granny is around 60 years old.

When Sunny comes to the restaurant, she'll wait until it is closing time and help granny to clean up the restaurant. Also, walk granny home and make sure she safely reaches home.

Sunny did tell her family about granny and they are relieved and thankful that at least in Seoul, Sunny has someone older and more experience with Seoul than anyone else. Also, thankful for granny because she is kind to Sunny.

Sunny's family isn't the rich and arrogant type of person. They are mostly chill and friendly and loyal and respectful. They don't care how low the people are. They befriend anyone.

And those attitudes passed down to Sunny. A humble and kind woman which a lot of people find charming.

"When are you going back to your hometown again, Sunny?"