1.

I find myself standing in the middle of a crowded room. The sound of the music is loud and blaring but it also sounds distant and far away. I can't understand the words. Looking down, I see I am in a bright yellow dress that goes down to the floor.

People around me look as if they are speeded up yet slowed down. I feel like I stand out from the rest. Like I don't belong some way.

A light shines in my face. It makes it hard to see. I squint my eyes and the sounds around me seem to get clearer and clearer.

"We found her!" The voice yells to me. My eyes refocus and now I am standing on a stage.

A woman walks towards her. I know this woman but I can't seem to remember her name. I can't remember anything.

"Play a song for us. Please." She asks tilted her head ever so slightly to the right. It feels exaggerated even though it is a simple movement. I turn my own head to the right and see a piano. A spotlight is on it.

I walk to it and sit down. I can't play the piano.

My fingers find their way to the piano and I begin to play. I play as if I had been playing since I was a young child. I close my eyes.

The sound of the piano disappears and I open my eyes. I am standing in a black void with nothing around me.

"No, no, no. You must do as I say now!" I follow the sound and I see my boss talking on the phone in front of me.

He turned the phone off and looks in my direction. "What are you looking at? You want to get fired?"

I can't find my voice. It's like there is a lock around it and I don't have the key. I simply shake my head.

He storms off in the other direction screaming on the phone. Then a little girl pulls the end of my hair ever so slightly. I turn around and look at her. She backs away looking as if she saw something horrifying. She ran away screaming from me.

I shoot straight out of my bed. I felt shivers in my arms. I look at the time, 11:09 am.

Oh no, I am about to be late. This can't happen. I have never been late to work before.

A four-month streak is now gone.

I get dressed as quickly as possible. A summer dress will have to do for today. My hair is a mess, the only option I have is to brush it and french braid it.

I grab my computer and put it into my bag. I and practically running out the door. I know I must have missed my bus. It is a 20-minute walk from my apartment. If I go fast, I bet I can make it in 15.

I practically run. I get there at 11:54 according to my watch.

In the elevator, I see Achilles. I am tempted to just wait for the next elevator to come but I don't have that kind of time. He holds the doors open for me.

"Floor?" He asks.

"13," I say.

It is silent in the elevator. I watch the numbers at the top go from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4, to 5, and so on.

From the corner of my eye, I see him. Like really see him.

I notice for the first time that he is tall, very tall. From the reflection on the elevator doors, my head goes to just below his shoulders. He has dark hair as well. I haven't been able to pay attention to his eye color yet. Looking him right in the eye might not be the best idea.

I work at Horn industries. It is owned by the one and only Achilles Horn. The one standing less than two feet away from me. He stays in his office mostly. He comes in whenever he wants. Most of his partners attend the meetings and report back to him. My job is to pay attention and I observe a lot. Something about Achilles sparks my interest. From his name to the way he walks, to the way he does business.