Paris Jackson

Paris Michael Katherine Jackson is the second child and only daughter of pop legend Michael Jackson.

Synopsis

Born on April 3, 1998, in Beverly Hills, California, Paris Michael Katherine Jackson is the second child and only daughter of the late pop legend Michael Jackson. Paris's biological mother is Debbie Rowe, an ex-wife of Michael Jackson, who signed over custody of Paris-as well as her son, Paris's brother Michael Joseph Jackson-to Michael Jackson, following the couple's divorce in 1999. Paris, Michael Joseph "Prince" Jackson Jr. and their youngest sibling, Prince Michael "Blanket" Jackson II, attend private school in California.

Early Life

Paris Michael Katherine Jackson was born on April 3, 1998, in Beverly Hills, California. She is the second child and only daughter of the late pop legend Michael Jackson. Paris's biological mother is Debbie Rowe, an ex-wife of Michael Jackson, who signed over custody of Paris-as well as her son, Paris's older brother Michael Joseph "Prince" Jackson Jr.-to Michael Jackson, following their divorce in October 1999.

Father's Death

On June 25, 2009, Paris's father, Michael Jackson, suffered cardiac arrest at his Los Angeles home, and died shortly after being transported to a nearby hospital. At the time of her father's death, Paris was 11 years old. As dictated by her father's will, Paris and her brothers came under the legal care of their grandmother, Katherine Jackson.

In February 2010, an official coroner's report on Michael Jackson's death was released, revealing that the singer had died from acute propofol intoxication. Aided by his personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, Michael had used the drug, among others, to help him sleep. A police investigation revealed later that Murray hadn't been licensed to prescribe most controlled medications in California, and the doctor's actions as Michael's caretaker were subsequently further scrutinized. Murray was found guilty of homicide on November 7, 2011, receiving a four-year prison sentence.

Believing that A.E.G. Live-the entertainment company that promoted Michael Jackson's planned comeback series, "This Is It," in 2009-had failed to effectively protect the singer while he was under Murray's care, the Jackson family decided to take legal action against the company. Katherine Jackson officially filed a wrongful death lawsuit against A.E.G. with Paris, Michael Jr. and Prince Michael "Blanket" Jackson II (Paris's and Michael Jr.'s youngest sibling), and the trial began in April 2013. Lawyers sought up to $1.5 billion-an estimation of what Michael Jackson could have earned over the months since his death, if he were alive-in the case. In October 2013, a jury determined that A.E.G. wasn't responsible for Michael's death. "Although Michael Jackson's death was a terrible tragedy, it was not a tragedy of A.E.G. Live's making," said Marvin S. Putnam, A.E.G.'s lawyer.

Public Appearances and Recent News

Paris, Michael Jr. and Blanket have managed to largely stay out of the limelight, infrequently making public appearances since their father's death. However, Paris and her brothers spoke to their father's fans during his funeral in 2009, and again in January 2010, accepting a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Award for Michael Jackson at the 2010 Grammy Awards.

More recently, in June 2012, Paris made a guest appearance on the Oprah Winfrey series Next Chapter, where she discussed her father, her childhood and her experience as a victim of cyberbullying.

In early June 2013, several media outlets reported that emergency responders were called to Paris Jackson's home following a possible suicide attempt. According to a report by People.com, Paris was hospitalized after she "cut her wrists with a kitchen knife and took as many as 20 ibuprofen tablets."