Island of the Devil

The fog began to swallow the path; we were afraid we were getting lost. They were coming at us from all sides, our hearts beating a thousand kilometres per hour, sweat pouring down our faces as though it was raining, our feet hurting but we couldn’t stop running because if we did, they would kill us and burn us in the scorching flames of the underworld. It felt like a terrible nightmare but it wasn’t. They were horrible creatures not supposed to walk this earth – unfortunately for us, they were unleashed by the devil himself: Satan. And all this happened because I did something extremely foolish; I fell in love, with Satan’s Daughter. Let me first explain how I got into this situation.

It was just another day in the office, same old papers to fill and place in folders, same old chair that was broken and the same old wooden desk. Everything was normal until a young man entered my door.

‘Is your name Brendan Hunt?’ he asked with a deep voice.

‘Why? Yes I am, and may I ask whom I owe this visit to?’

‘This is none of your concern! All I am here for is to offer you this package, and I would appreciate if you don’t ask who, as that information is confidential’. He quickly placed the package on my desk and left.

‘That was a very weird young man! I wonder who the package is from!’

I reached to the box to try and open it. I ripped the brown covering, took off the bubble wrap and found a box made of wood that had a symbol on it. It looked like an angel with a devil tail carved onto it. I opened the lock and found that the box was full of letters, letters addressed to me. I scanned through the letters and found that they were sent from someone named Filia Diaboli. (Which I thought at that time was Italian but later found out that it was Latin for ‘Child of the Devil’). I also noticed something very strange: these letters dated 1360 AD, over 653 years ago. Furthermore, I found another letter at the bottom of the box which was the only other letter that was not from Filia Diaboli was from Jack Mienczakowski? What does he have to do with this? I rapidly opened the letter to find out:

Dear Brendan,

I know this must be really weird and confusing for you but you must remember that time I had to leave for a while? It was because I was leaving to go to Mauritius which is an island near South Africa, on my trip there I heard of a local legend that I was determined to know more about and I finally realized the legend was about you and another girl named Filia Diaboli. Legend says that after every 633 years you will be reborn, to find your true soul mate and every time you meet each other she will blow up into a thousand flames and sent to the underworld to be punished for falling in love with you. I know this might sound outrageous and stupid but it’s true and as your friend I would advise you to come to Mauritius in order for us to meet and further explain in greater detail upon this legend.

See you soon my friend,

Yours sincerely,

Jack.

I was so confused and I had no idea what I was going to do. At the moment I thought that it would be best if I were to go to Mauritius and see what he is talking about, so I called my friend Carl who worked at the airport and asked for a one way flight to Mauritius and in 6 hours I had arrived. It was a small island and from the plane it looked like it was deserted and what was even weirder, I was the only one on the plane. There were only two pilots and one air hostess on the flight and as soon as we landed they immediately left, which left me thinking ‘what on earth have I gotten myself into?’ It seemed as if I were all alone on this island, so I left my bags near the tallest tree I could find and began navigating myself around the island. I was walking for about 4 hours and all I could see was sand, trees and bushes.