baby proof to save my soul

From birth until independent self awareness the majority of infants know that someone is watching.
As babies they may even cry just because they open their eyes and there isn't someone there, not just for need of food or clean up. Our infant life is a totalitarian state.
The moment we develop an independent self and get curious about the "why" of what we can't do, is the divergent point.
That's the moment decisions that are made by others starts to erode everything.
For example: The moment you accidentally touch yourself in your sleep, or rub against something and it feels new and different is an erosion moment if you've been told it's not good.
That's when you start work it out, choose your path and begin your journey toward hypocrisy.
"Either I'm being watched all the time and these guardians, these ubiquitous beings of mine don't really care, or no one is watching at all."
"Where you at Jesus?!"

Regardless of which road is taken the personal gratification is the same.
Heed every warning and stay true to course, shamefully explore and constantly feel exposed, or challenge everything, doubting the totalitarian world around you.
All of it is available to test.
Where are the boundaries?

Not everyone is told or made to believe that the same things are bad. Not everyone is told that the same "bad things" would result in the same outcome. Most people attribute their moral compass to the "family" values they grew up with.

Take note: the "you" and "we" here doesn't include what they would currently considered "unconventional families" or foster children, or refugees etc.
The "you" and "we" here should by now be pretty obvious as not from the "unconventional family" "orphan" "charity case".
Or uniquely traumatized by it, but that's for another story.

Down that road:
The more we shamefully explore everything told to be wrong, the weaker we feel.
Give us children we care and fear for and that weakness multiplies. We fear they'll be just as weak or weaker than us.
The drive to "baby proof" the house is overwhelming, but if we can't control what's happening in their room (our private room), we have to put solid guard rails on everything else.
"If they want to come out, there won't be anywhere 'dangerous' for them to go."

Even without children, once down that path, we'll become convicted toward a cause, knowing that if there'd been guard rails for us, we'd have been better, and we personally, can save so many by advocating for them now.
No matter what the cost, they weren't there when we needed them and hopefully it's not to late for others.

And that how someone becomes an insensitive bitch that feels they know what's best for everyone else.
Totalitarian raised self described delinquents that are ashamed of themselves.