Chapter 1

Elena's POV

Dear diary,
I've been putting this off for a while now, and I think it's time I admit to it. I love Stefan. His love is pure and he makes me feel safe. The feeling that our love can- or could- be eternal is what I've been wishing for my entire life. But then Damon showed up and ever since then, I've found myself reconsidering my love for Stefan. Of course, I'll always love him, but am I still in love with him? When I'm with Damon, it just consumes me. It's the passion and the danger that I sense when I'm around him that I find so intriguing.

I quickly close my small green diary, and scramble to shove it under the white cushion on my window seat as I hear footsteps approaching my room. I've been scribbling down words, then shredding each one of them before anyone had a chance to read about my feelings, for the past hour. I don't know what I'm feeling, and I sure as hell can't find the right words to describe it.

I let out a small sigh of relief as Damon carefully opens the door, and peaks his head inside my small bedroom. He chuckles slightly at the stunned expression on my face.

"Oh my god, Damon, I've been worried sick. Where the hell have you been all day? I tried calling your cellphone but you didn't-" I'm cut off before I could finish my rambling.

He gives a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, brother bonding with Stefan. Since Mr. Ripper has decided to go on yet another one of his blood benders. You know, I'd actually prefer to have brooding, Elena loving, bunny-diet Stefan back." He says sarcastically, raising his eyebrows.

Damon is always so easy going during times like these, constantly replacing worry and distress for his brother, with sarcastic, witty humour. Whereas I'm an emotional wreck. Like always.

"Well, I'm glad your ok. But you could've called. It's just you and me now, Damon. Stefan's gone, remember?" I stand up from my seat by the window, and sluggishly make my way over to Damon, throwing my small arms around his neck as a mascara stained tear trickles down my flushed cheek.

He places his strong hands on my waist and pulls my body closer. I let out a small gasp as his hands accidentally slip under my loose shirt. Although, to my surprise, I don't bother moving them. Instead, I wrap my arms around him even tighter this time.

A knock on my open door causes us to pull apart.

"Jenna," I say, startled. "I, uh, I thought you and Ric went out for dinner?" She wasn't supposed to be home so early.

"We did. But we decided to leave early." She replies with furrowed brows. "You need to leave. Now." She angrily addresses to Damon. She grasps his arm and leads him towards the door.

"Jenna, please! Don't do this." I plead.

Damon is the only one I have right now. He's the only one who can comfort me during these tough time. And now that Stefan's gone all ripper, he's all I have left.

"I don't want him in this house, Elena! He's not welcome here. He tried to kill Jeremy, remember? Numerous times, actually."

Jenna's never liked Damon. Especially after what he did -or should I say, tried to do- to Jeremy. But I've managed to forgive him. Why can't she?

"It's okay Elena," I can hear the aggravation in his deep voice. "I'll see you tomorrow, at the dance." He says, his eyes remaining focused on Jenna.

"No. You won't see me tomorrow." I watch as Damon's eyes fill with hurt and confusion. He didn't let me finish.

"You won't see me tomorrow," I continue. "Because I'm spending the night in the guest bedroom, at your house." I watch Damon's reaction, as a small grin appears then quickly vanishes from his lips.