Her Smile

I sat beside my beloved as she lay on the hospital bed before me. The doctors words hung in the air, and I still refused to believe him. My grip tightened on Lucy's fragile and delicate hand that rested in my own.

I looked down. Grasping my head in disbelief.

No...not Luce...not...not her...not Luce...

"Natsu."

Through my bangs I glanced back up at her.

"You have to be strong, Natsu. Like you always are."

Instinctively, my chair drew closer to her as she talked.

"I... still have time. We have to enjoy it as much as we can."

My head nodded and nodded at her words. Yes, Lucy. Of course, Lucy. It's okay.

"We have to...be happy...that we are this lucky. You know, other people, ... they didn't know. So when it happens, their loved ones are filled with so much sorrow and regret, not being able to say goodbye and enjoy their valuable time with them."

Tears slid town my cheek as she spoke. The blonde reached her hand out and placed it upon the streaked skin, wiping away the droplets as they came.

"Shhhhh... it's okay, Natsu."

My silent tears turned into uncontrollable sobs. I couldn't hold it in any longer. I slumped over and wailed and cried into Lucy's weak body.

How can she be so strong? At a time like this... How can she?

"I'm...so happy to have met you...And be surrounded by such amazing nakama...I'm so lucky...to have lived such a wonderful life..." Tears pooled in her dull eyes.

"Lucy..." I sobbed into her shoulder.

"Natsu, it's okay, honestly." She soothed me, rubbing her hand on my back.

Throughout all of this, the blonde had just smiled, reminiscing about her happy memories, with the occasional tear rolling down her pale face.

"I love you...Natsu."

I tensed up at hearing the words I loved so much. I weeped even harder.

"I love you too, Lucy..." I cried and hugged her harder.

She smiled against my neck and hugged me back. "Thank you so much... for everything."

We spent the rest of the hour weeping in one another's arms.

-------------------------------------------------------

Day 1

My eyes, still puffy and red, stung as the sharp wind hit my face. Lucy and I, more me than her, cried the whole night together. Now I was pushing Lucy along in her wheelchair, on our way to her favorite place in the world.

Fairy Tail.

The blonde's eager smile warmed my heart, and although I smiled, nothing that we did could smooth my aching soul.

Luce's time was running out. I still refused to accept that, it was just so impossible. But deep down I knew that it was real. She had just weeks, maybe even days to live...and there was nothing we could do about it.

Lucy had the option of chemotherapy, however refused to take it.

"It's just prolonging what was meant to be in a more painful way. Even if I accept, we couldn't enjoy any time together. I couldn't imagine life like that, you know? If I'm gonna die, why not make it happy and adventurous?"