Chapter Seven

Brooke tapped her foot against the floor as she stood between Maddie and Chloe. Abby soon walked into pyramid, furious. Brooke sighed, wanting to leave already. Abby didn’t say anything before, she ripped off Kendall’s picture, followed by Nia’s followed by Paige’s followed by Brooke’s, then Mackenzie’s, Maddie’s and Chloe’s, all in a straight line. Abby looked over all the girls, than said. “You were all terrible. A disgrace to the Abby Lee Dance Company! Maddie, you don’t even place with your solo! Neither did you Chloe! Than the group gets second? All of you were terrible! You didn’t even deserve second place!” Brooke bit her lip and sighed again. “This week we won’t be doing a group dance. Maddie, Chloe and Mackenzie solo’s.  Nia, Kendall and Paige, trio. Maddie your solo is called; ‘Is This Even Me?’ Chloe yours is called; ‘What’s Happened To Us?’ Mackenzie, yours is called; ‘I’ll Get Better’ Kendall, Nia and Paige, your trio is called; ‘Why Is It Always Us?’” Abby then turned her gaze to Brooke. “You have a duet, called ‘Supernatural’. If you screw it up… You’re off the team. That goes for all dances.” Abby said, turning to the other girls.

 “Who is the duet with?” Brooke quietly asked, the nerves in her stomach making her want to puke. Abby turned back to Brooke, and raised her eyebrows.

 “Didn’t I mention who was coming with us?” Brooke shook her head and Abby nodded. “Nick will be joining us.” Abby said flatly. Brooke nodded as she bit her lip, holding back a smile.

 Half way through the rehearsal, that day, Nick joined the girls, and sat down in the corner against the wall, while Paige, Nia and Kendall were practicing their trio. Mackenzie, Maddie and Chloe smiled at Nick, and he smiled back at them. Brooke was staring at the wall, biting her finger nails, not noticing that Nick had joined her and the other three girls. Nick looked over at Brooke with a confused look, and then back to the three. The three girls shrugged.

 “She’s been out of it all day,” Maddie told him, and Chloe and Mackenzie nodded.

 “Oh,” Nick replied, turning back to Brooke. He watched the movement in her jaw, as she bit at the nearly nonexistent nail on her thumb. Nick gave her a concerned and confused look, even though she wasn’t looking. Chloe, Mackenzie and Maddie started giggling, and Nick turned back to younger girls.

 “What?” He asked.

 “You so like her!” Chloe sang, while giggling. Nick raised an eyebrow at Chloe.

 “You’re kidding, right?”

 Chloe shook her head and Maddie smiled. Mackenzie quickly stood up, and rushed over to Brooke, shaking her shoulder, and knocking her out of her train of thought. She blinked a few times and turned to Mackenzie. Mackenzie whispered in her ear,

 “Nicky likes you!” Brooke raised an eyebrow at Mackenzie and laughed. She looked over at Nick and smiled at him. Nick laughed and smiled back at the brunette. Maddie, Chloe and Mackenzie quickly got up, and moved across to the wall against the mirror, as Maddie walked to the center of the floor. The three in the trio left to go get a drink and go to another class. Maddie started her solo, as Mackenzie and Chloe watched.

 Brooke shifted over and sat next to Nick. Nick scratched his arm, which was covered by his red, baggy ALDC t-shirt. It hung an inch over his black shorts, which went to his knees. Brooke smiled at him, and whispered.

 “I never thought you liked me, even though we’ve been dating for a year now, and you tell me you love me, a lot.” Nick laughed and lightly elbowed her side. Brooke smiled and pulled her black, spandex shorts down, a little. They still were extremely short, going about six inches down from her hip. She had on a peach bra top, with no design. Her hair was in an extremely messy bun, and she had on black mascara and eyeliner.

 “So, what’s the dance called?” Nick asked her, while her eyes turned to Maddie’s solo.

 “Supernatural,” She mumbled, not bothering to look at him. Nick nodded,

 “What’s it about?” Brooke just shrugged, not knowing the answer. The rest of the time was silent, until Mackenzie, Maddie and Chloe learned their solo’s and were sent to go get a drink and head to their other classes. Brooke got up from her spot on the floor, and Nick quickly jumped up, and followed her. Abby motioned for the two to start center stage. The two walked to the middle of the room, as Abby began to explain the beginning pose. Brooke had her left arm around Nick’s neck and her right arm on his arm. Nick had his left hand around her waist, his right holding her leg up, from under her knee, just above his hipbone. Their foreheads were pressed together, their lips an inch apart. Their noses would almost touch, as they had to look into each other’s eyes.

 After a few seconds in that pose, the two burst out laughing, and moved their hands away from each other. They smiled at each other, and laughed. Abby groaned, and started going on and on. Brooke bit her lip, trying to stop herself from laughing.

 After nearly an hour, they finished their duet. The two walked out of the studio, and as soon as the door shut behind them, they burst out laughing. They sat on the floor next to each other and continued to laugh.

 Brooke smiled at Nick and smacked his arm. “Stop making those stupid faces at me, it’s like you’re trying to get me in trouble!” Brooke laughed, and Nick shrugged, and smiled at her. Once the two stopped laughing, they smiled at each other, and leaned in. As soon as their lips pressed together, Mackenzie squealed. Brooke quickly moved away from Nick, and turned to Mackenzie

 “Mackenzie… This never happened… Okay? Tell no one…” Brooke said, sounding worried, but trying to be calm. She was biting her tongue, her eyes a little wide.

 Mackenzie looked at Nick, then Brooke, before turning around and running up the stairs to the moms.

 “Mackenzie!” Brooke screamed, getting up and running after her.