May I have this dance

It all began one day last April in the year 2010, I was a 25-year-old 2nd grade school teacher living in New York City. I had the same routine everyday, I woke up at 5:30 am every morning, ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, went to work and came home I didn’t really have a social life because by the time I was done with work I was to tired to go out and do anything. A boring but good life I must say” on her off days, which was Saturday and Sunday was usually a lazy day in sweats and a t-shirt while sitting on the couch she decided to get on Facebook, while scrolling through her feed an ad for a dance school had popped up and the teacher was someone she knew and dated in high school someone she hadn’t seen in over 12 years, his name is Greg Wise, now Greg a spectacular dancer in his own right, he studied dance all through grade school and college. Greg and Emma both studied dance in high school they were the top students in there class, but after a leg injury she got during her and Greg’s performance at Radio city music hall, after the embarrassment and frustration she felt Emma never wanted to dance again. After putting a lot of thought into signing up for the dance school she decides to give it one more try, she gets out her ballet shoes which have been put away for a long while, washes her clothes and packs her dance bag for the next day. Sitting awake in bed she pulls out and old shoe box from under her bed full of letters and pictures of her and Greg through out high school, the memory that came which each picture made her smile, all the while she is thinking about tomorrow and how nerve racking it will be for her seeing Greg after all these years. The next day on Monday Greg is preparing himself for his class today looking over his list of students joining his class he spots a familiar name, “Emma Thompson” that’s a name he hadn’t seen or heard in a long time, Greg immediately thought back to his high school years, he thought back to that day at Radio city music hall and Emma’s injury and how everything went downhill after that, him and Emma hadn’t spoke to one another since that night. He was so nervous but walks into his class with his head held high and says “welcome” my name is Greg and I’m the dance instructor and owner of this school this class is 2 hours long there will be breaks in between, so lets get started. Everyone up to the bar, Greg has them start in first positon and goes from first to second then third, fourth, fifth and back to first. For the next part he needed a partner, Emma standing in the back looking down a bit because she didn’t want to be chosen, nervously looking up she locked eye contact with Greg and for that brief moment she realized the old spark between them as teenagers was still there but she didn’t want to admit it. She was called upon to join Greg at the front of the class, as they danced together it felt like the first time they danced together in high school. The end of class draws near and Greg is anxious about talking to Emma for the first time since that day, at the end of class, Greg asks “Ms. Thompson, can I see you for a moment” “of course” the rest of you may be excused, Ill see you on Wednesday. After everyone had gone and Greg had locked the door, he was waiting for Emma to come out of the restroom, he waited in his office for her she knocks on the door and he looks up and looks as though he’d just seen an angel enter the room, with him completely smitten, she says “hello! (Snaps her fingers) earth to Greg)” Greg (snaps out of his trans) laughs and clears his throat, I’m sorry about that Em. He gets up and hugs her, all the rushing memories come flooding back in their minds, they decided to talk in the hallway sitting on opposite sides Both looking at one another smiling and then looking down and then back up, both thinking how awkward this is after all these years of not seeing each other they never dreamt of having this conversation again.

Both: (In Unison) Hello! They chuckle, then say “how are you” and laugh about it again and then

Emma says “I’m sorry, you go first” Greg: “no, no please! I insist, you go first” Emma, alright! She clears her throat, well lets see I’ve been a school teacher for the past 6 years teaching 2nd grade Greg: Em I didn’t know that that’s great! I’m so proud of you, so how have you been? Emma: I’ve been doing good! Greg: No!! I mean how have you been since that day? Not a day has gone by that I don’t think about that day, it tortures my heart. Emma: honestly Greg, (as her eyes start to water), its been really hard, I’ve been to depressed to go out and have a life I just stay in my house and I’ve even gone the way of self harming because I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t have anyone to turn to ( as she shows him the scars of proof on her arms) in an instant Greg’s eyes start to water as he touches her arms he begins to cry, Em I had no idea I’m so sorry I wish I could have been there with you through all of this I wish there was something I could have done. Emma: Greg! Beating yourself up over this isn’t going to help me or you, its not your fault, I’m responsible for my own actions I’m the one that chose to take them not you! please don’t fuss over it. So, what about you! What have you been up to? Greg: well, I went to college after high school and studied dance and social work, I got my bachelor’s in social work and a masters in dance. Emma: Wow! Greg that’s wonderful that you’ve achieved so much and here I am a pathetic loser with no life and no achievements. Greg: Em, STOP!! Talking about yourself like that, your not a pathetic loser you’re a beautiful woman and you’ve achieved much more than you know. Emma interrupts “HOW DO YOU KNOW!?” (As she starts crying and yelling at Greg) “YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME! I HAVE BEEN THROUGH HELL AND BACK GREG!” as she breaks down, he holds her slightly tight, as she starts to calm down, she looks at him with her red puffy eyes and says, Emma: “just look at these scars on my arms they are not beautiful they are just a reminder of the choices I made, I also gave up after making one tiny mistake in my career and stopped dancing all together.” Greg stood there in complete awe and for a moment didn’t know what to say to her. until she broke the silence and said Emma: “maybe it was a mistake for me to come here” as she started to walk out the door Greg said “wait” (he runs over to her and hugs her) Em, I’m sorry you’re going through this alone I had no idea, but you don’t have to, please let me help you I can’t do much but be there for you. Em looks him in the eyes and says thank you Greg, Greg then goes on to say “here’s my number 589-5966 please feel free to call me day or night if ever you need something” I promise I will be there no matter what. Emma hugs him thank you she also apologizes for the way she acted earlier Greg with a smile and humble heart says “I’m sorry I haven’t been there for you or kept in touch with you as I should have, but the honest truth is after that day I though you’d never want to speak to me again! So, I just left you alone and we went our separate ways” as she attempts to try and leave again Greg says Em wait! Emma: “yes!” Greg looks at her a moment and says “would you like to have dinner with me sometime?” Emma: yes, I would love to! Greg: “How does Saturday at 7:00 pm sound” Emma: that sounds perfect! I’ll see you on Saturday, goodnight. Greg: goodnight!