the coldest day of the year

It was a cold, windy day, when the snow was laid on the ground, but the breeze blew hastily. The clouds covered the frostbitten sky and the sun looked not over them. The trees had not a single barren leaf along it's long, bony arms.

   In his small, quiet, solitary cottage, the dark angel lie calmly on the bed, his silent black wings out over the sides of the blanket. He opened his red, misty eyes. He yawned and sat up, the bed springs squealed as he did, he ignored them. His gaze spread out across the room. He groaned and got up, walking to the window. The frost covered the panes and there was a slight draft on the room.

   He sat at the window, his head resting in his palms. He was lonely. Ugh, why does it have to be this way? It's horrible being alone here. Oh Pit. Why'd you have to leave me? Why can't you be here? He thought. He got up and put a white hoodie. It was Pit's, it had his scent, he liked wearing it. He pulled it down over his short black underpants. He walked out of his room and into the kitchen. Quiet. Like it always is. He put some wood on the fire, it was cold. Very cold. But he didnt feel like putting on pants. He hated pants.

   The dark angel had gotten almost used to Pit always being gone for missions and rescues and other jobs far away from him. To think about Pit always gone made his wings droop and he felt in general, alone. He looked at his phone, he had gotten a text from Cloud. A picture of him and Sephiroth at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. He sighed. At least his roommate was happy. Out there in the city of love, with his boyfriend, and not cooped up inside on the coldest day of the year. The dark angel read the text;

Thanks for the help Dark Pit!

He put the phone down. At least he said thanks. He looked at the dark purple curtains against the deep grey wall. He felt almost sick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pit's POV

   Pit rushed to catch his flight, he woke up late because of the long drive overnight to the hotel, and left a little later the night before. To be honest, he really didn't want to leave, but he knew he had to for work. He hated his work, but he knew he saved lives this way, and that people needed a hero like him. He turned the corner and almost ran into the flight attendant, a tall, blonde, curly haired lady. "Oh! I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going" he chuckled, trying to hide how anxious he was. He handed her the ticket and hopped onto the plane.

   On the plane, the seats were small and close together, Pit sat by himself. Any later and he would have missed the plane, he took a deep breath. He was not even a day into his trip and he was already homesick. Or maybe he wasn't homesick so much as guilty. He had only been home for 5 days before leaving again last night. He worried about Dark Pit, who was home alone almost all the time, Pit was only home to see him one or twice each month. He wondered if Dark Pit missed him as much as he missed Dark Pit. but he had duties, a big and very important job. You have a responsibility. you know that. You must do your job and you must do it well. Palutena's voice said in his mind. He knew that he had to listen to her, she was the boss. He let out a sigh.

    Oh Pittoo. I'll be home as fast as I can. This time. He was determined. He hoped Dark Pit could hold up for 3 days. Pit rubbed his hands together, they were cold. He was also super sleepy from the drive. Last night he was only able to sleep for 3 hours before he had to leave Dark Pit's side. He couldn't wait to be home.

 He couldn't wait to be home