Nightmare Dust and Other Stories

I WOKE UP WITH A SCREAM. There was purple dust encircling me. I had just had a nightmare. "Mom! Dad! Help!" I screamed. The purple dust traveled into my sister's room. Then she woke up screaming. "Kate! Brenna! What happened?" My mom was shouting. When she turned on the light though, the dust disappeared. "Mom... I had a nightmare. And I woke up with some strange air floating around me. When you turned on the light, it disappeared." My mother looked at me in disbelief. "Kate" she whispered. "Let's talk about this tomorrow. Anyways, go back to sleep."A tear ran down my cheek. 'But I can't sleep,' I thought. 'Then I will have another nightmare.

The next day, I was downstairs when a black flash appeared in my eyes. I had a picture in my mind that showed the world all black and dark purple, with me. Me standing over it with the strange purple air circling around me. The picture disappeared. I felt so confused. What was circling around me? Something interrupted my thoughts. "Honey, you seem tired." It was mom. "Mom, I didn't get any sleep last night."

"Oh, yes. Last night. You see... That purple stuff you saw was called nightmare dust. Only certain kids have it come out of them when they have a nightmare. It is contagious. If it reaches other kids, they have nightmares too." I was speechless. How can a person start disease?

"Can we stop it, mom?" Mother just stared at me. "I suppose so. We just need to find the right materials to stop it." What materials? A broom?

I ran into the garage and grabbed a broom and dust pan. "Kate, it isn't normal dust," Mother said."It is very thick and can choke someone. It cannot be seen in daylight." Great, I thought. Now what? The fact that it can kill someone doesn't help. And that it can't be seen in the day. "Be right back," said mother. She came back with some ropes. "I'm afraid that we will have to tie you up to choke the dust. Then it will die, and you will not give it out again." "Are you crazy?!" I shouted. "If you tie me up you will choke me!" "True. But that is the only way." She was right.

Notes from me: day one:

Nothing to eat, I am starving and slowly suffocating.

Day two: I am very thin and must eat soon. I am still suffocating.

Day three: I am a ghost. I am dead. This explains why ideas can't be very good. I am still hungry. Nightmare dust is gone, though. Is nightmare dust seriously this bad?

The End