What was before?

"My home village, Trandafir, is such a simple place, but so beautiful. Every ray of sunshine makes us, the inhabitants, happier and more hardworking. My name is Rosa. I am 16 years old. I feel like I have never found peace and reconciliation, no matter how much I smile, how much I work, my happiness does not seem to be long-lived.
It's like I'm missing something, like I'm missing someone ... "

-Oiii !!! Rosee! Let's play !!!

-Oh! Maria! I'll be there in a moment!

"I'm sorry diary, I'll leave you for a short time!"

It was the middle of summer. A warm and refreshing summer. The fine steps of those two girls surrounded the village located in a large area of ​​plain. A plain that bloomed every spring, and the flowers in this area lasted until late autumn. The boys in this village were already born with a predestined animal name, either domestic or wild. The girls, on the other hand, were named after the flowers or the old nuns of the village, to bring them good luck in life. The village of Trandafir was quite far from civilization, but in order for people to support themselves, every month, from April to November, men and the elderly went to the cities to sell the flowers harvested during the spring and during the winter, families usually gathered around the fire and told stories.

In their walk, Maria remembered the story she had heard from Rosa's grandfather and did not hesitate to bring up the subject again.

-Oh! Rosaa!

-Hm? Did something happen, Maria?

-I vaguely remembered your grandfather's story. Can you tell me one more time about it?

-Hmm ... Of course! Know that it is not just a story! These things really happened!

-Ohhh !? Seriously!?

-Yup! So listen! My grandfather had taken me with him 3 years ago to look for mushrooms, not far from this plain. It was autumn and a little cold, so I was well dressed and I was ready to help him! I've always loved helping my family! The road from the village to that forest is about an hour! A little long, I know, but it was beautiful, because I had never left the village before! We haven't advanced much in the forest when we suddenly heard a loud noise that tore the silence around us. My frightened grandfather told me to hide behind him. Then I saw him! A black wolf with astonished eyes watched us from the end of the path. He didn't seem interested in us, so he walked away. My grandfather took my hand and we quickly returned to the village.

-Are wolves so dangerous?

-Grandfather said that black wolves are the most dangerous. Those with black eyes would be said to be cursed!

-How interesting !!! Old people know so many fascinating things!

-Exactly!

-Would you like us to go into that forest one day? I would like to leave the village too, I have never been outside it.

-Just the two of us?

-Yup!

-No! It's too dangerous!

-Oh come onnn!!! It's the middle of summer!!! There are no wolves in this area in the middle of summer !!!

-Hmm ... Okay ... But we're not going to that forest.

-Ohhh... fine! So I'm waiting for you in front of my house tomorrow at 7 o'clock in the morning!

-So early?!

-Well, I'd like to come back by 9 or 10 to have breakfast!

-Ohhh ... Okay!

-Yeeey !!!

-But what are we going to tell our parents?

-Well, now is the time of year when you find the most beautiful roses outside the village! The whole plain around us is full of all kinds of roses! We'll tell them that we're going to pick them up! One rose of each species!

-Oh... alright...

It was getting dark. The village was preparing to fall asleep due to the exhausting heat that lasted during the day. Scattered here and there, a few torches dimly lit in front of the houses. While they were all at dinner, Rosa's family, consisting of her grandfather, grandmother, and mother, sat down next to the clay plates divided around a small round wooden table. Their faces were lit only by those three candles in the center of the table. Shy by nature, Rosa tried not to tell her family members at first about her hike that was going to happen in the next morning, but the typical goodness she had and out of respect for those who cared for her all these years, in the end she managed to tell them what was on her mind.

-So you are leaving tomorrow morning to pick roses ?! Her mother had asked, a little surprised by the two girls' plan.

-Well, Maria said she would like us to get back in 2 hours to have breakfast.

-Oh! I understand. Mmmm ... well ... but be careful, okay? Don't go too far and don't run! You will be tired for the rest of the day!

-Really, Mom? Will you let me go?

-Yes why not? As long as you listen to me and don't break my word, I have nothing to oppose! I hope you bring me a bouquet of roses too! She answered, looking her in the eye and smiling at her.

-You're the coolest mom!

-However, be careful, my dear. Something strange is happening outside this village. Your father left 14 years ago and never returned. City police searched everywhere, but it seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth. Her grandfather told her, getting up from the table.

-I know! I'll take care, Grandpa! I promise!

As soon as she returned to her room, Rosa headed for the small diary located on the beech wood desk in the corner of the room.

-Hmm ... Where was I? Ah yes!

"Dear diary, I am going to get out of this village for the second time. I can't wait! I hope the weather will be pleasant and that I will see as many kinds of roses as possible. I love these flowers.Also, tomorrow is an important day for Maria. July 14. Tomorrow she turns 16! I will prepare her a wreath of roses, of all colors, as a gift. I'm sure she'll like it!"

And leaving the diary back on the desk, Rosa got ready for bed, but before she could close her eyes, a question stirred her feelings:

-Dad ... What did you suffer ...?

Because of this question, her sleep was delayed, but in the end, when fatigue did not cease to speak, she fell asleep.