PROLOGUE

AN: This is actually my first story on wattpad, if there are any mistakes or you want to say something pls lemme know. 

Seated on the couch in the living room was Kelly and his mother, Anita, watching TV. They were both silent as they watched the movie they were watching. It was Anita's last days and Kelly decided to spend his mother's final days with her before she dies. She suffered from lung cancer as she was a smoker, and, the disease was in its final stage which meant Anita's days were numbered. The doctor said she had three months, and this was the third month which was July.

"Ma." Kelly called and looked at his mother. The petite, beautiful, black woman looked at her handsome son and smiled.

"Yes baby." She answered.

"Why did Pops leave you when you were pregnant for him?" Kelly asked making Anita sigh. The question wasn't what she was expecting.

"He found a new love." She simply said.

"Do you still love him?" Looking intently at his mother, Kelly asked while praying in his mind that she says 'no' because it was going to hurt him if she says 'yes'.

"I still do." Anita said sadly making Kelly frown.

He became angry. "That nigga don't deserve none of your love, Ma. You're too good."

"You look just like him."

"You've got to be kidding me, Ma. Ion look like that nigga. You showed me his pic and we have no resemblance." Kelly said and Anita chuckled. He gave her a questioning look, "What?" He asked.

"I just wondered what I did to have such an amazing son like you." She said, changing the topic of their discussion.

Kelly smiled sadly, "I ain't that good Ma"

"You are. You so good that it makes me scared you'll end up getting hurt. Even when you rolled with bad kids and did a lot of crazy things, you stopped when you realized it was a bad path for you which makes me so proud of you." Anita said and sniffed.

"Don't cry Ma." Kelly said as he wiped a tear from his mother's face.

She chuckled bitterly, "You so smart that it makes me wonder whose brain it is you got up there." She said and Kelly let out a chuckle.

"It's definitely yours, Ma." Kelly said and Anita smiled.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me baby, I love you and will always do." She said and Kelly pulled her into a hug as they sat. He knew she was crying as he felt his shirt getting wet. A lone tear fell from his left eye and he quickly wiped it off.

"I love you too, Ma." He whispered. They remained in that position for some time before Anita broke the hug. She sniffed and wiped her eyes. She sighed and smiled at her son.

"I'll make you your favorite meal today." She said making Kelly smile a wide smile. She got up from the couch and went to the kitchen.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Kelly asked as he got up and followed his mother to the kitchen.

"Uh, just run over to the grocery store and buy some salt. We're out of it." She spoke.

"Yessum." Kelly said and turned to leave. "Do you have some change with you?" Anita asked making Kelly stop. He turned and flashed his mother a smile.

"Nah, I ain't got." He said meekly.

Anita playfully glared at him. "Then where were you going?" She asked.

"To take your purse?" He said and his mother chuckled.

"Silly you. Now, hurry up unless you want a tasteless food." She said and Kelly quickly went to her room. He took some change from her purse and hurried downstairs.

"You got it?" Anita asked.

"Yeah, I'll be back really quick." He said and left the house. He walked to the grocery store which was just three blocks from their house. He bought the packet of salt and headed home. He entered the house and heard the sound of the blender.

"Ma?" He called as he entered the kitchen. His mother laid on the floor unconscious. Fear engulfed him.

"Ma." He said with a trembling voice as he tried waking her up but she didn't wake up. "No, you can't go like that, Ma, you can't." He said as tears streamed down his face as he still tried waking her up. He took his phone and called his mother's best friend, Anika.

She picked after the second ring. "Hello." She spoke.

"She's gone." He said and broke down in tears not bothering to hang up the call. He heard Anika's faint 'I'm on my way' but he couldn't decipher what she was saying. He just sat down beside his mother's lifeless body.

---4