1

New York has many neighbors,some are beautiful and safe, some aren't, it's always been like this, and always will be,
the story I will tell you is about a group of friends in Hell's kitchen, the story I will tell you talks about a friendship that goes deeper than blood, I'll tell you about a love that lasts longer than a lifetime.

•••

Lorenzo Carcaterra was nine years old when he met the boys that will become his best friends, Lorenzo had big blue eyes and short brunette hair, he always loved to read,and definitely wasn't shy.
Lorenzo and his friends grew up thogether, sharing joy and pain, talking about books,cars and girls, they were often with Fat Mancho, a man in his late thirties who had a wife living out of town, he did not have any friends, but he cared about Lorenzo and his gang.
Alessia Carcaterra was, and still is, Lorenzo's sister, she was a couple years older, the girl had big brown eyes and chocolate brown hair, she was always considered very beautiful, Alessia, like her brother, loved to read, she worked in Hell's kitchens library in the summer, she also adored fashion and cooking.

SUMMER 1963

Lorenzo's gang just lost a cart competition, and John Reilly, an irish boy, who lived with his single mother, had the idea of going to the library, he wanted a copy of "the count of Monte Cristo", Lorenzo didn't like the idea, not because he didn't like the library, but because his sister was there that evening, and he didn't like the idea of his friends meeting Alessia,even of he was younger, he was was a protective brother.
Although that, the others wanted to go,so they went there.
The library was near the subway, it was enourmous, there were so many classics,
there was a section with thrillers, one with romantic books, every type of book was there, there were many vases with flowers, expecially tulips, roses, and daises, for the kinda life people in Hell's kitchen had, the library was a refuge, a comfort place.
The boys divided, they were all looking for a book, they all enjoyed to read.
Alessia was in the second floor of the library, reading "Narnia" to some kids, she saw her brother, but she was occupied, and she didn't want ti disturb him.
The gang didn't knew about Alessia being

in that floor, so they went there, Alessia smiled at them, she stopped reading and went to them, then she handed a copy of the book to each one of the guys, grave them a part and started acting.
When they eventually finished, they presented to each other, the first was John, then Tommy, a boy with curly brunette hair and a sweet smile, then Michael, now, he had honey brown hair, his eyes, they were the saddest thing Alessia had ever seen, his smile was cute and somehow, all toghether made him hot, cute and mysterius at the same time, the girl couldn't help but stare, she felt enchanted by him, she had never felt like that before, she wasn't sure if that "emotion" was good, but she liked it.