Hopelessness of a Black

"Don't get your hopes up."

Sirius grinned—he grinned big. He grinned like an idiot at James, sitting there in their compartment. Snacks that they 'd purchased for their trip to Hogwarts for their second year were littered across the seats as Sirius continued to grin like an idiot. "It would be nice, though. Another Black in Gryffindor."

James frowned, pushing up his glasses. "Yeah, but..."

"What do you mean by another Black in Gryffindor?" came the squeak from Peter. Sirius didn't know when he'd shown up, but then he'd never really paid him much mind, not figuring out why Peter hung out with them despite Peter being in the same year and the same house.

"I have a little brother. Didn't I tell you guys that?"

"Um, no, you didn't," Remus said, nose in his book, a goody-two-shoes as always.

"I'm sure you did," Sirius said quite enthusiastically.

"Telling me isn't the same as telling all of us," James said. "And as I said, you shouldn't get your hopes up regarding Regulus."

"Why not?" Peter asked.

"Because Sirius is the only Black not to be sorted into Slytherin in ages, or so it goes."

"So the little twerp's going to be sorted into Slytherin?" Peter's nose wrinkled up.

"Hey! You don't know that! And don't talk about Reggie like that. He's actually a sweet kid." Which was when all three of his friends stared at him before bursting out laughing. He glared at them, giving them what he thought was a well-timed Black glare. "What's so funny?"

"You, saying that someone was sweet!" Remus laughed, trying to prevent himself from falling over.

"He is." Sirius glared at James. "You too?"

"Well, this is coming from you, who's the exact opposite of being a sweet kid."

Sirius glared. "Well, he is the exact opposite of me. That's just the way things are. That's the way Reggie is."

"So, where is this brother of yours?"

"Oh," Sirius frowned. "He's off getting the lecture from our mother about acting like a proper Pureblood."

"Hold on. How is it you go from being excited about your brother possibly being in the same house as you to being bummed out like that."

"Regulus said he didn't want to sit with me," Sirius pouted. "Said I was too loud, and he wanted to read."

"Oh, gosh. He really is the opposite of you," James laughed. "Seriously, though. Don't get your hopes up."

"Regulus said the same thing." Sirius sighed.