Chapter One

Seventeen years ago a girl was born. It was a frigid October morning when her mother first held her in her arms. As she paced back and forth with her new child a small bird outside of her window began to sing. A wren, and so she was named. Wren Akira Somalia.

   Wren was a curious, clumsy child. With little care for rules and expectations, she was always running through the woods. It seemed her favorite thing to do was escape her mother and climb every hill. Picking every flower she could grip in her little fists. When she wasn't on the run she was reading any book she could grab from the bottom shelf of their library. The problem with this was Wren was a very important little girl. She was the eldest princess of Ethelia, destined to one day become a queen.

   As kind as she was curious, she was adored by her people. Bright green eyes and untamable chocolate curls never failed to fill the room with light. As the kingdom grew so did the royal family with 4 new boys and 2 more girls. Their father was always a hard man, never really one for family- but her mother. Her mother was a light in that castle. A woman that spread joy as generously as the sun spread light. The queen spent every waking moment that she wasn't by her husband's side, tending to her children. So her children grew up brave, strong, and kind-hearted. They also grew up with a mind and will of their own, which the king often frowned upon. She was no longer a child as she turned seventeen. Her curves and stature proved she was indeed a woman.

   Sadly before she was considered a woman, she was considered a princess. What she wanted didn't matter, nor did her dreams. Especially the ones she had about falling in love.

   On that fateful morning, She arose with anxiety making a home in her stomach. Her father called everyone to the Great Hall, he had a great meal prepared. A celebration to remember, he called it.

  "Today is the day my darling child has come of age!" He boomed over the table filled with his large family, counselors, and advisors. "The suitors will begin to arrive midday and by spring, my Wren will be wed!"

   Everyone at the table cheered and raised their glasses, most everyone anyway. The queen did not, a frown etched onto her soft features. Wren slowly raised her glass as she was challenged by her father's hard stare. The golden liquid sloshed and threatened to spill, mirroring her eyes as they filled with tears.

   I remember that day all too clearly. My heart dropped between my knees as one by one I met the princes. As the oldest, I had a responsibility to my kingdom. One I never asked for, one I never wanted. I was to marry to strengthen our lands. Looking back, I'm glad I never did.