The Day Eye

The sky was plain and the sun contrasted against everything that would darken its luminous rays. Rayna awoke to the same old thing she did every day. Theron leaned over her romantically and planted a kiss on her forehead.

“Today will be a good day...That I promise you ” That’s what he said every day. That’s what he wanted to believe, what they both wanted to believe... but now that the Day Eye was in charge, nobody could be too sure.

Together, they got dressed into their everyday uniforms; Black slacks and sweatshirts with black caps for the boys and the same in white for girls. Diversity was strictly banned, in fact everything but work was banned... work and romance. As for secrets? Well, there seemed to be only one way to deal with those. Death.

Together, they exited the door and had their hands stamped. This was to ensure that they didn’t escape. Deadened robots patrolled the doors of each building and around the city. The stamp was a pattern of intertwined lines with an eye located in the centre. Everyday a group of people decided to rebel against the system and those people were usually scientists, the disillusioned and intellectuals, thinking they can outsmart the Day Eye. Nobody can outsmart the Day Eye.

Together, they walked the palace, hand in hand. They were to be this week’s ‘employees’. Two by two, the Noah’s ark of the modern day, they were promised peace in the better land. Yet nobody ever left the palace... they only entered.

Together, they traced the many winding corridors. Not a word was spoken between them, though the occasional whimper could be heard. The carpet was velvet rouge and the walls were violaceous, laced in golden borders. The atmosphere hung low, causing tension and mystery. The two thought they were alone... Nobody was ever alone with the Day Eye in charge.

Together, they reached the final door, beyond this lay paradise. In their heads a field of dreams lay free... waving in and out of a stream of imagination. Millions had stood before them, braced. Some of those excited, others terrified. Rayna shut her eyes and squeezed hard on Theron’s hand. He mirrored her action as he too shut his eyes. Ecstasy lingered within their emotions, dancing with fear and excitement.

Together, they opened the door.

Together, they leaned before the day eye. Now they had seen what the word ‘Paradise’ meant. ‘Paradise’ wasn’t what you and I have in mind. Not at all. ‘Paradise’ was an intermediate place for the departed souls of the righteous awaiting resurrection.The people of the Day Eye were innocent. Wasn’t everybody? ‘Employees’ worked hard and for that they deserved freedom.

Together, they bowed their heads.

Together, they linked hands.

Together, they ignored the risen axe above their necks.

Together, they embraced the final emotions.

Together, they became limp.

Together, they dropped to the floor.

Together, they died.

Together, they were set free.

Together, they went to paradise.