deaf to the flute

There are so many different versions of Felix's background story, and I wish I would have found them all to include all the links here. (If you do find one or write one yourself, dm me!) 
Felix is such a remarkable character, with such little background. I have always thought that he deserved so much more, and wondered what his past might have looked like. No that I have read a few theories about his past now- each of them has been great, creative, and was different to the othe-, they all inspired me to put a mix of my interpretation down to paper, creating a new, unique version, one that might thrill you with new ideas to do the same.

I hope you enjoy my idea. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What are you?" A deep growl, coming from the broad man, echoing through the small room. The bottle on the wooden table was thrown off in one go, shattering onto the wooden ground into a thousand little pieces. It's noise was enough to cause Felix to flinch, and it was an astonishing act of self control for his father, to leave one of the big pieces onto the ground, and not to slip his son's throat right there. He had drunk a lot more than the other days, but in the end it was the anger issues that won, not the alcohol.

"Who are you?" He yelled disbelieving with a deep vibrano in his chest, swaying around to keep his balance. There was a vein popping on that porcelain skin, and just like his son, the old man owned the palest pair of blue eyes, piercing their way through the young boy's soul in order to judge him. 

"You play this repulsive instrument and chase after girls all day! What are you doing with your life?" Felix stayed silent when the heavy mass of a man stepped closer and built himself up in front of him, landing a heavy strike in his face.

"Worthless piece of shit!" He spat it out like poison. Felix shrinked again, and for a second he felt the urge to cry, yet one single drop could mean another beating of his life. Man up, he would say. Do not ever cry in front of me, he would say, before he walked off to get his belt. The words to defend himself were stuck in his throat, but even if he were able to speak his thoughts out loud, it was worth nothing to the boy's father, just like the rest of him. 

"I carried a musket for the king and so will you!" He suddenly spoke in a warning tone.

"Dad, I am-"

"Eighteen is old enough to be drafted in, and you will never be a good blacksmith! Not with that attitude!" Felix's father barked, swinging his arm into his son's direction. For a second, the boy feared that he would get beaten up again. Instead, his father grabbed the violin from his hands to furiously smash it onto the ground, leaving it impossible to repair. Felix watched agonized. "That shall teach you a lesson, son!"

Felix looked in horror at the broken instrument, unbelieving that his old man would ever dare to touch one of his own childhood relics. It had been a gift from his father, from times when he was young and had to entertain himself, while the old drunk sat in the pub all day. There never had been a special bond between these two, not close to family, far from any love. As long as he had the violin, Felix could bear any beatings.

"This makes you weak, my son." The old man brought Felix back to reality. He lifted his head, but could not move from his frozen, cowed position near the wall. Nothing would prove his father that he was worthy to his son, no matter how hard he tried to follow his every command, no matter how many different chores he mastered. 

"I don't want to go to the army, dad." Felix winced, and when he did, it felt like time stood still. The pale face of his father turned red in anger, and his eyes darkened within a glimpse. 

"You-" He muttered threateningly as he closed the short gap between those two, bringing his face down to his son's. "dare it?" 

Felix felt shivers down his spine and goosebumps spreading all over his body. His breath hitched, with eyes widened, he then watched powerless how the old man unbuckled his belt, pulled it out of the rim and folded it in half.