Chapter 27: Suit Up!

A punch, kick, dodge, another punch.  This was the flow of Ren and Izuku's sparring session early in the morning.  The sun had just barely risen fully over the horizon as Ren continues to parry and counter Izuku's attacks.

"He's gotten a lot better with his attacks, a bit faster even...."  Ren thought to himself.

Ren knocks Izuku's hand away and goes for a leg sweep, to which Izuku dodges by jumping.  Spinning mid-air, Izuku proceeds to preform a spin kick, to which Ren dodges by leaning back and backflips away.

"Reaction time's got better too!  Used to always be able to hit that off on him!"  Ren thought excitedly to himself.  "His counters take less time now and have a shorter window of reaction for his opponent, is that because of the fight yesterday?  It was barely even a day ago, but he's improved this quickly?"

"Looks like you're really getting into it now, huh Izuku!"  Ren asked Izuku.

"Yeah, for some reason; I feel super fired up today!"  Izuku replied as he continued to attack Ren.

"I bet you do, after that fight with that shaggy looking guy!  Bet you feel like you can take on the entire world, huh?"  Ren replied as he blocked and countered Izuku. 

"W-wait!  You know about that Sensei!?"  Izuku exclaimed.

In that moment, Ren punches Izuku's cheek, then grabs his wrist.  Ren pulls Izuku towards him and leg sweeps Izuku from behind, sending Izuku falling onto his back.  Izuku groaned in pain as Ren chuckled and took a seat next to him.

"I don't just know it, I saw the whole thing!  You've got some guts kid, but that was so awesome to watch!"  Ren replied.  "Should really learn to stay focused a bit better though."

Izuku sits up and rubs the back of his head.  

"H-how did you get into the school?  U.A. has special defenses that prevent anyone from sneaking in!"  Izuku stated.

"Let's just say I had some help from a friend.  But more importantly, you beat that guy in fair combat!"  Ren exclaimed.

Izuku then looks at his hands, remembering his fight with Eraserhead.  He then makes a fist and squeezes tightly.

"No...  Not really."  Izuku replied.  "I only won on a technicality, but when it comes to a fight of pure skill, he's still leagues above me."

Ren doesn't respond and listens intently, looking at Izuku's face that was entranced in a deep thought.

"I still have a long way to go if I want to be at his level, or yours for that matter Sensei.  I have to push myself even further.  Aizawa-Sensei was right about one thing, I did rely too much on the Omnitrix.  I forgot the advice you gave me, about how my aliens are only as capable as me and what I learn..."  Izuku explained as he then held the Omnitrix up.  "Until I earn the master control, I have to rely on what "Izuku Midoriya" can do rather than just the transformations in my Omnitrix.  If I want to become the best hero in the world, no... The best in the galaxy, I have to go beyond, plus ultra...!"

Ren sighs and smacks Izuku's head, to which Izuku yelps in pain.

"You're putting too much pressure on yourself!"  Ren exclaimed as he smacked Izuku.

"W-what was that for Sensei!?"  Izuku said as he looked up to  a smiling Ren.

"The ceiling always gets higher.  No matter how many goals you accomplish, no many times you stop a villain, no matter how many times you save someone, you'll always think "Just one more.".  The bar always gets higher."  Ren replied.  "It's admirable that you want to push yourself beyond your current abilities, but without a key point to focus on; your mind will always create another ceiling or peak for you to achieve, whether you want it to or not."