1

April-25, 2000

I stared at my phone in disbelief as his text bubbles continued to appear, repeating and pausing while he typed. Maybe lots of things were going through that boy's mind. And I knew nothing.

''I'm done with you-''

''This relationship can't go further anymore. Whatever we had is over. You're the reason we broke up. It's you-''

I half-smiled as my eyes started getting blurry; salt water dripping down my eyes, reaching my lips. Am I crying? Why? This ain't new.

''So you were not happy this whole time?''  I hit send, waiting for another heart-piercing text from him, gently wiping away my tears. 

I repeat to myself slowly, whispering- ''Who were you before they broke your heart? A different person. Selfless, happy and kinder than you are now?''

''Please block me. I don't wanna see your face no more. Don't dare to text me, Anna. Please-''

''Ok. I hope you're happy. I'm so sorry'' I typed as my hands shook, still half smiling, staring at my phone.

''Bye bae.''

''Don't ever text me. I would never text you. You understand how unfortunate you have to be, to breakup on the very day we met?'' 

He bid me bye over texts, in a mean way and just leaves there.

I toss my phone on my side, checking it from time to time. Recalling if whatever happened now was really real? Did he just break the ties forever after promising me he'd never let go? Aren't we supposed to hold on together? Whatever happens, let them be. That boy promised he would not leave me like my ex did. He would care for me till death do us apart.

I hide my face with my palms, crying in agony and pain. The amount of hurt I felt after he left me for the 2nd or 3rd time that day. I don't even count anymore how many times he broke up with me because I know he doesn't love me the same. Never will. I cried covering my face under my palms, punched the wall and laid there crying myself to sleep. Every now and then, I woke up, cried again and picked myself up. After crying for some time and checking the texts frantically, i went to sleep  exhausted.

The next morning I woke up, I checked my phone. No texts..

''Did you really love me lol?'' I thought to myself and laid there, not moving an inch. Why does love feel this way? It's strangely beautiful and awful. You nurture a person with everything you have. everything you had just to let them go somewhere else, living happier than you. What about you then? Do you feel happy just like they do? You don't.

Love is the art of letting go and I learnt it the hard way.