Nightmare

If you've been here before you KNOW I'm a sucker for post-cannon nightmare comfort.
Nightmares, Angst, Fluff, and Hurt/Comfort tags apply to this shot.

It's dark, but in the distance, there's a light. It's coming closer by the second. I see my mother in front of me.

Again. Not again.

The same image is just as painful and clear as the day it happened.

She steps on the tracks and-

It shifts. This time, I'm surrounded by screaming people. Blood pools at my feet, but it's not my mother's. It's Tohru's.

Kyoko Honda lies on the sidewalk; her eyes fixed on me. Those dreaded words echo in my mind.

I will not forgive you.

I hate those words. To this very day, I cannot stand to hear it. Yet I have to almost every damn night.

The image shifts again—the latest edition to this string of traumatic events.

Tohru, covered in her own blood in that forest.

I hate myself for letting it happen.

More so than the other two, even if it sounds terrible to say.

I'm not in control of my shaking limbs as I reach down to take her pulse, cursing Akito's name to the wind because, at that moment, all Yuki had told me was that Akito was with her when it happened. But really, I was mad at myself for leaving her, especially after what I'd said.

Pressing two fingers to her wrist, my world collapses when I hear...

Nothing.

I sit up, panting and sweating and disoriented. I glance at my hand against the sheet; something Master taught me years ago. Count my fingers.

One, two, three, four, and one thumb.

I take a breath. It's over.

I see Tohru on the other side of the bed, her chest rising and falling as it should. She's still here. A part of me wants to wake her, just to be sure. But I should let her sleep. She'd worry if I woke her.

I smile slightly.

Everything is alright.

I lay back down and sigh deeply, gently grabbing Tohru's waist and pulling her against me. All it takes is her content sigh to make me relax enough to fall back to sleep. 

Will there be more than one shot in this book? I have no clue. If you have any ideas please lmk!