Festival Of Wine

||Diane Dowlin||

The city was packed as a wave of people filled every nook and cranny of the city. It was both lively and chaotic as thousands upon thousands were present for the festival. Mother fanned herself as we waited patiently. The carriage was driving at a snail's pace. The sides of the streets were lined with a plethora of stalls, most of which were selling bottles of wine. It was only before noon, yet a couple of drunkards were already roaming about.

"On the bright side, at least we already got here." I tried to lift to mood up.

"Well, you're right." She sighed deeply just as the carriage suddenly halted with a thud. A mild collision yanked the boredom out of me as the steeds suddenly neighed. Seconds later, we hear a knock on the door while a group of people could be heard, their voices muddied by the wooden walls of the carriage.

"Miladies, my carriage has been damaged by the wheel. I'm afraid the journey ends here." He announced, his voice hoarse and pressed with annoyance.

"I'll pay you extra for the troubles that have befallen," my mother bargained, pulling out coins in her pocket and making them dance in the palm of her hand, producing sharp metallic chimes.

"I thank thee for your kindness! Shall I ask of aid from the guardsmen to escort thee to her ladyship's destination?" The man inquired.

"That would very much be helpful, kind sir."

Not even a minute had passed, and I could hear metal armors clanking amongst the clamoring crowd, the cries ordering the crowd to part and make way. Six men at arms stood by the carriage, shields parting passersby, leaving a small perimeter of breathing room.

One of the men opens the door before bowing with his waist and speaking gallantly, "We shall escort you."

"I thank thee," She gratified both the guardsman and the coach. She handed the man seven silver coins, to which he looked at her astounded, at a loss for words.

Mom only smiled back before patting him on the back and turning to me, "We treat these folk like one of us, remember Diane that even the rich cannot buy themselves out of death."

"As you have always reminded me, mother," I responded.

With a single motion of her wrist, a silver medal appeared in her palms -embellished in it is our family's crest. The man nodded in affirmation after seeing our insignia, "We are at your service, milady. To where shall we escort you?"

"I have been invited by Lord Beathan, I wish to see him." Mom said.

"Very well," He replied before turning to the other men, "Men, to the city square!"

They all nodded in unison, stomping the ground before lifting their weapons. We embarked soon after. It was a slow pace, but at least we had breathing room. It was a slow journey, but alas, we made it. Luckily, we were not far from the city square. A wall of soldiers surrounded the square with their shields implanted into the ground. It was very intimidating, to say the least. Although I wonder why does he needs such a quantity of men on an occasion like this?

A gap in the barricade allowed us to pass through. We saw Lord Beathan talking to a woman. As he saw us, he dismissed her.

"Lord Beathan, what an auspicious day it is." Mom greeted him with glee while I curtsied.

"Indeed it is, Lady Elizabeth, as to you, Diane." He returned with kind gestures, "Although I wonder, why are you two here and not in the supposed venue for our celebration?"

"There was, milord?" Mom asked, making me dumbfounded also.

"It appears that I have failed to send you another letter prior, never mind, let us make our way to -"