A Sudden Change of Heart

My mother always told me that being different was a gift, but in times like this....it's a curse.

The black haired girl ran down the forest road. Greens and browns flew past quickly. Behind her, the sound of horses and men's shouts could be heard.

"Stop! In the name of the King!!"

She glanced behind her and saw about seven or eight of the king's men right on her tail. She scoffed, hissing quietly.

"Turtles and snails, they'll be off my tail."

Within moments, the men and horses behind her slowed to the same pace as a turtle. The blackette grinned, running faster than before.
~~~
The blackette stopped in front of a small, wooden shack in the middle of a clearing.

"There. They can't find me here."

"Or so you think, Miss Everrose."

Everrose turned on her heels and glared at the boy, now leaning against the nearest tree. His dark brown haired was cut right below his ears and his light green eyes sparkled curiously.

"Whatever do you mean? You won't remember this place once you leave."

She smirked, glad she had was the spell of forgetfulness on any who enter and leave her home but herself. The boy merely shrugged and pushed away from the tree, moving closer to the girl.

"I don't believe we have been properly introduced. I'm Luca, Prince of Bellrose."

Everrose stiffened at the name and took a step back from the royal pain.

"What do you want? Isn't it enough that my face is on every wanted poster in the kingdom?!"

Luca smiled.

"Darling. Those posters are my father's doing. He wants you dead because he doesn't believe in change."

Everrose scoffed, holding up her hand as the boy walked closer.

"Stay back. I don't want to hurt you."

"That's just it, darling. You don't want to hurt anyone. Do you?"

The boy walked closer, not worrying about the girl's hand. She narrowed her silver eyes in confusion on what he was getting at. Before she even realized it, Everrose found herself answering.

"No. I don't. I've never wanted to hurt anyone. My mother told me that seeking revenge on those who wrong us is pointless. So even though, this kingdom is the reason she's dead. I will never hurt anyone in it."

Luca nodded.

"I presumed as much. What would you say if you ruled by my side?"

By the end of his sentence, the brunette stood right in front of the girl. He reached out, pushing her hand down to her side.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I believe in a new era. I want the kingdom to adore the differences in others, not kill it. To do what I would like though. I wish to have you as my queen."

"Why me?"

"Because you are the one that everyone in the kingdom believes to be different. I want to change that, so what do you say, fair Everrose?"

"I say yes."

Maybe being different is a good thing.