Chapter 1 "Late start"

The Hyperion Code

"Good morning Doctor Ellis, it's 7:30. You have slept through your alarm yet again."

Doctor Ellis sat up turning his head towards the person that had interrupted his sleep only to see his assistant Charlie beside his bed. The assistant wore a worried expression on his face 

"What's the matter Charlie?" Doctor Ellis asked while sitting up "Well as you know, Arwin's still quite top heavy despite the added weight to their legs throught buildup of extra metal" he looked at the doctor and then at the small tablet in his hands.

Arwins a scrapped robot they fixed. Their built top heavy and the crew had to add metal to their legs to try and evenly distribute thier weight.

"So?" Doctor Ellis pressed, "Well, Arwin fell in the corn again earlier due to that fact. I got them out but not without significant damage to the corn." He handed the Doctor his glasses which once on his face made him look a little less like he had just rolled out of bed, which he technically did.

 "How much is left?" he held out his hands to receive his vitamins and cup of cold water from Charlie which he downed within seconds of receiving it. "Around fifty percent give or take," he looked worriedly back at the tablet."I suppose that just means less corn till we stock up at the market next, what two maybe three weeks?" 

He set his cup down and looked at Charlie again who was now nervously biting his lip. He continued flicking through the screen before pulling up a hologram and showing him. "Around a month sir, if we keep on course that is." 

 Doctor Ellis sighed and pushed the hologram back at Charlie's screen "Don't worry about it, we can ration it later." Charlie's worried face turned into a look of relief. "And VIC did you transfer him over yet?" As if on cue the speaker in his room started up and VIC's voice could be heard throughout the room.

 "Surpr-rise Doc!" He looked at Charlie unimpressed, VICs metallic giggling clearly heard bouncing around his room. "Well you did ask me to but didn't quite mention where..." Dr.Ellis simply got up and shut down his speakers. 

 He then redirected VIC to the main hub much to the annoyance of Chevonne, the head engineer of the crew, who had finally thought herself rid of his voice after being stuck with it all week in the engine room while upgrading the old valves. Once he turned back on the speakers he could very clearly hear her yelling at him through the comms. 

"DANIEL CRAVEN ELLIS I SWEAR TO WHATEVERS UP THERE I WILL-" He shut off comms again and looked at Charlie "So what's for breakfast?" The young assistant looked at him and then back at the speaker "Egg sandwich with a drink of your choice." 

The doctor laughed nervously at the sound of footsteps coming toward the room "Could you bring it up to the lab then?" He eyed the door to his lab "Uh I could but aren't you not supposed to eat in there?" Doctor Ellis walked towards the door and looked back at him "I don't think it would hurt right? Besides I have to deep clean anyways."

 He continued walking into his lab before turning once more "Oh and a coffee for the drink please." The lab door shut and locked, leaving a slightly terrified Charlie wondering what Chevonne said she was gonna do and what might happen if she finds the doctor cooped in his lab hiding from her. He laughed a bit when his mind was brought back to the plan he had originally while attending medical school 'This' he thought 'was most definitely not it'.

—--- End ---—

Of chapter one

We're no strangers to love

You know the rules and so do I

A full commitment's what I'm thinking of

You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling

Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

We've known each other for so long

Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it

Inside we both know what's been going on

We know the game and we're gonna play it

And if you ask me how I'm feeling

Don't tell me you're too blind to see

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Never gonna give, never gonna give

(Give you up)

We've known each other for so long

Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it

Inside we both know what's been going on

We know the game and we're gonna play it

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling

Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye