01. Tyro day

Today Is Tyro Day.

But let's go back a little bit. Like, two hundred years back. Two hundred years ago, our country, the United Territories, was formed. It consists of four equal territories or sectors. Each of the sectors play a role in keeping the UT running.

Back to Tyro day. Once a year in sector three our military training program takes one hundred teenagers from throughout the UT and trains them for our military. We call all of the newbies Tyros.

I was a Tyro eight years ago, and I was actually one of the very first Tyros ever to be admitted into our training program. I was one of eight ten year olds who were admitted, and I've been training to be a weapon of war ever since. Now the training program only admits teenagers that are above the legal limit which is seventeen.

Last year my application to become a trainer here was accepted, and I get to teach other teenagers how to fight. It sounds odd that I'm into violence but we make sure that all of our trainees are properly taken care of.

I walk to the bathroom in my apartment to get ready for the tyros to arrive. After I change into a clean black tanktop and a pair of sweatpants, I begin working on my ugly bed head. I brush through the knots quickly, and examine my hair. My hair is completely bleach blonde except for my roots which have grown out and turned my normal black. I like having white hair because everyone here just wears all black. My black hair would just add to the anonymity of this already dull place.

Once I feel confident with my appearance, I walk down three hallways to reach the cafeteria. Today is pancake breakfast. I get a small stack of pancakes, and walk over to the table I usually sit at with the other teenagers from my first year as a trainee. All of us decided that we wanted to teach the leaders of tomorrow instead of being one.

"Good morning, Ava!" Liam said as I sat down next to Dani, I greeted his pleasantry with a small smile. Liams short brown hair was combed perfectly, and his soft blue eyes were shining just as much as his pearly white teeth.

"Good morning." I reply, shoving a bite of syrup-y pancakes into my mouth. Dani smiles at me as she too takes a bite of pancakes. Dani has been my best friend since we started training, and she knows all of my secrets, and knows that I've had a crush on Liam since we were eleven.

Dani also shares all of her secrets with me, and that's how I know that her very attractive brother Evan has a crush on me. I wish she hadn't told me though because now I always feel awkward around him.

"You excited for the Tyros?" Alek asks as he combs his slender fingers through his dirty-blonde hair. No one really likes Alek because he's always kind of a jerk, but we're all like family, and we all would take a bullet for any of the others Evan actually has taken a bullet before, but it was because he and Alek were being idiots.

"I'm really excited." I say brightly.

"Why? It's the same as every other year." Ed says drowsily. His dark clothing reflected his personality.

"That's not true. What if this year we have someone with hot pink hair. Or someone with more tattoos than me. That would be different, right Ed?" I ask cheerfully

"One, no one has more tattoos than you. Most of your body is covered with ink, and Stacy from last year had hot pink hair." It's true. Most of my body is coated in tattoos. It's kind of a turn off for most people, but as I said, we're like family here.

The alarm goes off, and we all walk briskly to our own interview rooms. Each one of us trainers are assigned a group of sixteen and are responsible for showing them around the compound. One by one my new students file in. One of them hands me a clipboard.