Chapter One: Audition

I'm laying on my bed as my agent calls me. "Joe, have you ever heard of the book series Heartstopper?" "Yes, I read those graphic novels" I reply. "Good. I think you'll be interested in what I have to tell you. Netflix is creating a TV show based on the novels, they're doing an open audition for Charlie, the main character. I was wondering if you'd like to audition."

"YES!" I screamed "That'd be amazing. I'd love to do that"  "Great!" my agent says.

Gregory (my agent) sends me an email containing all the data about the audition. I have to learn three pages of lines and my audition starts... TOMORROW. I start reading the script and it's a scene between Charlie and Nick at Charlie's house. I start learning the lines while being extremely excited for tomorrow.

The next day

The bell rings. It's Gregory. He agreed to pick me up for the audition. I enter the car and he says: "Have you learnt your lines for the audition" "Yes" I reply "Of course I have!"       "Perfect" 

We arrive at a theater, where the audition is. I go to the counter to check in. There's a woman that leads me to the dressing room. "Here you go!" she says.

I open the door and I see boys changing into their assigned costumes. They all look like me, they're skinny, white, brunettes. How can I ever stand out if they're all replica's of me? The creative director gives me a costume and tells me to wear it. I look around, they are all so pretty and perfect. I shouldn't have bothered to audition, because I'm never going to get the role of Charlie. But since I'm here I am going to give it a try I guess. I put on the outfit. The creative director yells my name and I go on stage. There are people in the audience taking notes. I did some research online about Heartstopper and I see Alice Oseman in the audience.

My co-star, who plays Nick Nelson, comes from the other side of the stage. He's a tall, hot, muscular teenager. He looks at me and says: "Hi, I'm Kit. I'm so nervous haha". "Yeah, me too. I am Joe, by the way." I say awkwardly. "Nice to meet you, Joe!"

Alice is done taking notes and grabs the microphone to talk to us. "So, you're Joe Locke and Kit Connor, right? I hope you've both learnt your lines. You can start with scene 1 whenever you're ready.

I nod to Kit and the scene begins.

"I wish you didn't have to go" I say

"I wish I didn't either" Kit grabs a coat from the rack "You look so cuddly in like that"

"Do I?"

"Yeah"

Kit embraces me. And honestly, it's the best hug I've ever received. His warm body is all around mine and his face falls into my shoulders. We have such good chemistry. I hug him back and after a full ten seconds he lets go of me.

"Um, okay see you monday." he says as he closes the door without even looking at me.

Kit plays the role perfectly while I'm here standing like a penguin. I'm never getting the role I think.

The director yells "Cut! Now over to scene 2" 

We stand near a vending machine, pretending that it's a machine from an arcade. Kit loses the game.

"Come on... " He says

"What-"  I yell

"I'm almost out of money now"

"Don't look at me. I'm not giving you more just so you can lose again."

"Fine, I see how it is"

We laugh.

"So, I kind of overheard you and Tao in the bathroom earlier" Kit says

"Oh" I say with my head down

"I wanted to say sorry. About the date with Imogen thing."

I get an angry look on my face. "You actually went on a date with her?"

"No, no. She just asked me out and I was so surprised and all our mates were watching and expecting me to say 'yes' and I was such an idiot, I just blurted out 'yes' because I didn't know how to say no without embarrassing her and confusing all our mates. And then her dog died. And I felt really bad for her. I'm so sorry."

I smile "Isn't that what you always tell me not to say?"

"Yeah, but I've actually done something bad."

"Well, it's not like we're, you know, officially dating or anything."

His face turns sad. He tries to get away from this topic by saying: "I'm going to make it right with Imogen, I'm gonna tell her I don't like her like that."

"Okay"

Both our faces turn sad as the director yells: "Cut! Thank you very much, you two. You'll hear the results tomorrow. We both walk off-stage.

"You did so good!" Kit says.

"Did I? I felt like I was not showing any emotions. But you, I think you're actually getting the role, Kit"  I say.

"Me? No, I happened to watch how the other contesters were doing and I am definetely falling short."

"Well, I hope we're both getting the role. That'd be nice, because I really think our acting energies match haha."

"Yeah, I think so too. Would you like to get a coffee now? There's a Starbucks right around the corner."

"Yeah I'd like that" I say.

I saw Gregory enjoying himself with the other agents and I told him that Kit and I were getting a coffee. Kit and I left the theater and crossed the street. We enter Starbucks, we're the only customers.

"I'd like an iced caramel, please."  I say

"I'd like a white mocha, please." says Kit. "I'll pay!"

"No, I demand that we split."

"No, because I want to buy a coffee for the next upcoming Britsh actor"

I smile. "Okay, you win haha."

We wait for our coffees and we sit at a table.

"We really should stay in contact!" I say

"Yeah, I'd really like that. I so hope that we're both getting the role. Can't wait for tomorrow"