introduction

𝒾𝓃𝓉𝓇𝑜𝒹𝓊𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃

*ੈ♡‧₊˚:・

Gemma moved out of her home immediately when she turned eighteen. She was full of so much anger she thought her 5'4 frame would explode if she did not leave. Shoving clothes in grocery bags and book bags, sweating, she was terrified her parents would come early. Wednesday night church only lasts 3 hours and she debated until the last moment before grabbing her things together. She refused to imagine her mother's face when she came home to emptiness, she refused because she knew her mother loved her but she couldn't stay here any longer; In these walls, under this roof, in this town, with these people.

She was suffocating.

She did not think about how her father would want to cry when he saw her empty room but wouldn't cry, he would hold her mother instead as she did. She did not think about her friends finding out the news, she did not think about the people at the church who would be explicitly on her parent's side, weeping with them. She spent her whole life being on her best behavior, she did every after school program, she played piano, flute, and acoustic guitar, she helped the church every Sunday afternoon by making free lunches for school children downtown, and she never left her room a wreck, and she only had sleepovers during the weekend and was back home by 7 during the week, she showed she was responsible when her parents bought her a cat, she never failed class, God she went to fucking church every Sunday, Sunday night, Wednesday night, and the occasional Friday for special programs. She didn't even believe in God, she wanted to scream from the altar when she was forced to bend down and pray. She felt like she would catch fire every time she went in for confessional.

But she is good, she enjoys being a good daughter, a good friend, and a good person. She doesn't want to leave to punish her parents or something, she explained this in the note she will leave behind, she needs to leave for herself. She needs a new scenery and new air to breathe. This is her home so she will come back but it will be up to her until when. Although she did not believe in God, she found herself shoving her favorite bible in the bag before she headed off. She left the note atop her bed, knowing her parents would immediately barge in when they arrive. With one last look, Gemma was gone.