And You're Sober

I twirled my stake in my hand and sighed, making my second lap of the academy grounds. I glanced around and sighed, leaning against the wall. I ran a hand through my hair and glanced up at the sun which was beginning to rise. I felt a smile tugging at my lips as I remembered the look the sunrise had brought to Rose's face. Then, shaking my head, I forced the smile off my face. I couldn't be thinking about her now I still had — I glanced at my watch and exhaled — two minutes. I rounded the corner and ran into Stan.

"Ready for a break, Belikov?" he asked. I nodded and passed over the main set of keys. I decided to take the scenic route back to my room. I was making my way along the outskirts of the Moroi building when I heard an all too familiar cursing. My body tensed and I turned to face the source of the noise.

"Fuck," Rose muttered, rubbing her arm and staring up at the window of the second floor accusingly. I raised my eyebrows and glanced up at the windows above us.

"Tell me you didn't just jump out of the window," I said, stretching out my hand to help her up. Rose looked at me in surprise and scrambled to her feet.

"I didn't just jump out the window...I climbed down the drain and slipped," she muttered, brushing down her trousers. I laughed and grabbed her arms, tugging her towards me.

"Let me see," I said softly, checking the scrapes on her arms. "You've only grazed the skin," I said softly, my eyes scanning hers. Rose shook her head and grabbed her arms.

"Stop fussing," she said, grabbing my chin and squeezing my cheeks. I laughed, pulling her hands to her sides.

"Are you drunk?" I asked. Rose scoffed and leaned against me.

"I can't tell you if I'm drunk. Then you'll know my headache tomorrow is actually a hangover," she said in a massive stage whisper. I laughed and shook my head.

"Let's get you back to your dorm Roza," I said softly, putting my arm on hers to steady her. She held her hand up to her forehead and swayed. She was extremely drunk.  I spotted Stan and cursed, pushing Rose into the shadows of the woods. I couldn't let her get caught by Stan. Being out after hours...drunk? I didn't think it would go down very well. Rose giggled and shook her head.

"Now, now, Comrade...trying to get me alone?" she asked, trying to arch her eyebrow and failing miserably. I let out a laugh and shook my head. Rose's face lit up and she looked up at me. "I like hearing your laugh. You seem more laid back tonight," she murmured. I shook my head.

"It's hard not to laugh when someone throws themselves out of a window to escape being caught outside curfew instead of just staying at your friend's dorm. Your logic never ceases to amaze me," I said, leading her through the woods in the hopes we could outmatch Stan. Rose made mimicking noises, making faces behind my back as she followed after me. That girl will be the death of me. Rose tripped and banged into me and let out a little laugh.

"Oops, I think I sprained my ankle. Don't make me run tomorrow, okay? Kay," she muttered, bending over to hold her ankle. I sighed, scooping her up bridal style and carrying towards the cabin. I had to get her to sober up before I let her go home. Rose smirked and looked at me.

"Your arms are tensing," she said, running her eyes over me and stopping when she got to my arms. She licked her lower lip and I had to avert my eyes.

"You're drunk, Roza," I said sternly. Rose laughed and shook her head, when I sat her down on the couch.

"And you are sober. That is an issue," she said, giving me a pointed look. I shook my head and ran a hand through my hair.

"I'm going to make you some coffee to wake you up," I said, raising my eyebrows and watching her. She shook her head and climbed onto the bed.

"I'm going to sleep now," she decided. I shook my head and tucked her in and headed for the door. Rose sat up and pouted at me.

"Stay," she pleaded. I glanced at the door and furrowed my eyebrows. I couldn't stay it was...inappropriate. Yet a voice in my head taunted me. She could choke on her own vomit. I glanced back out at the door and then back at Rose weighing my options. I focused on the couch and nodded.

"Fine. But, I'm taking the couch," I said. Rose laughed and shook her head.

"Like I expected anything else," she teased. "Thank you though, for taking care of me," she whispered, curling against the pillow and closing her eyes. I found myself smiling and I pulled the quilt over me and closed my eyes getting ready to fall asleep.

"Dimitri?" Rose said softly. I sat up and smiled, glancing over at her.

"Yes, Roza?" I asked. She sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"I wish we met differently," she mumbled sleepily. I sighed and turned to face her.

"Yeah, me too," I whispered, watching her. She coughed and I sat up, realising that I probably shouldn't be trying to sleep... what if she choked on her own vomit? Or had Alcohol poisoning? I forced myself to stand up and walk around so that I didn't fall asleep. Rose laughed and shook her head.

"You look so nervous," she said smiling at me. I scoffed and turned to face her.

"You think you make me nervous?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. Rose smirked and stared up at the ceiling.

"I know I do. You're nervous that you'll lose control around me," She said smugly. The corners of my lips twitched and I threw the cushion at her.

"Go to sleep," I demanded. Rose smirked and opened her eye to look at me.

"So how is this going to work?" she asked expectantly. I arched my eyebrows and looked at her as if to say what the hell are you talking about. She sat up and smirked at me.

"When we move in together to protect Lissa. No rules, no boundaries. How are you going to manage with nothing holding you back?" she teased. I opened my mouth to retort and was suddenly hit me; how would I handle the relentless flirting when I had no rules holding me back. I met Rose's eyes.

"They come first..." I said softly. We both knew that Lissa would always have to come first...and if I loved Rose I couldn't guarantee that Lissa would come first. I ran my eyes over her and chewed my lip. I wasn't sure I could even guarantee it now. Rose looked up at me and smiled.

"If you loved me we both know you would still save Lissa. It would be what I wanted," she said softly. I met her eyes and I had to instantly look away. Even drunk she didn't waiver at the thought of dying for Lisa. I thought about when I found her over Mason's body and my heart clenched. She was right. I would never be able to live with myself if I had the means to save Lissa and didn't... Rose would never forgive me. I would just have to rely on Rose handling herself. I cleared my throat trying to clear the lump in my throat.

"Go to sleep," I demanded. Rose laughed and lay back down. I shook my head and muttered to myself in my native tongue. I'm in too deep already. 

Rose let out a small noise of approval "Hmmm, say something again. I love hearing you talk," she murmured.

"Roza, go to sleep," I said, and finally she listened. I stood up, pressing my hand to her forehead to check her temperature. I sighed; it was going to be a long night.